SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shabruo

lennox xp17 vs xp14 or ruud? help!

shabruo
13 years ago

Hello,

We are trying to retrofit a ducted heat pump system to our home - built in 1957, a hillside multi level home. It was originally built with just electric baseboard and ceiling heat - yuck!

We are trying to sneak in under the rebate deadline to have a system installed, and while I've done lots of reading, I'm still confused on which way to go.

We've gotten several bids, all for Lennox systems, but have also gotten a RUUD system bid as well.

Right now, we are looking between the XP17 and the XP14 - we have to have all ductwork done, and considering the architecture of our home, we will be stealing lot of closet space for running duct work.

Here are some additional specs:

Live in Eugene, OR - fairly mild winters and summers - no long periods of extreme cold or heat. Home built in 1957 with some updating of insulation, (but no attic space - open beam ceiling), high, sloped ceilings, TONS of windows facing out over the hillside, but updated to dual pane, low E glass. 3450 square feet, with lots of open, flowing space.

It has been recommended that we do a 4 or 5 ton system - 2 of 3 companies bid for 5 tons systems. I guess I am mainly looking for opinions on which system to go with in a home like this. I think we have ruled out the RUUD system as it was the cheapest and a 13 SEER, 8.5 heating rating, and those lower numbers scare me a bit as far as efficiency of the unit goes.

I've seen several folks say that they are unimpressed with Lennox, but I was under the impression it was a high end brand of heat pumps. Should I be scared of Lennox? One of our bids came through Costco, and they only bid Lennox brand. Anything major stand out about this information or is there a system recommendation some of you would make for a home like ours? Is the newer technology of the xp17 model not looked at favorably?

Just an FYI - for the heat pump, air handler, labor, ductwork, etc (basically everything but electrical work), our bids are coming in in the range of $14k - $15,500) We will be doing 17 vent registers. Does this seem outrageous? This is before any deducted rebates, which at a minimum is the $1500 federal rebate. We initially talked about zoning the home, but it was costing an additional 1800, and after talking through with one of the installers, we determined that with the open flow of our home, we could likely get away with not zoning... so for now, we are looking to get an installation without zones (can't really afford to do it - we're really just trying to sneak in under the rebate deadline and get a system!).

I appreciate any information anyone can provide!

Many thanks.

Comments (6)