SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
burns27

Furnace for Old House

Burns27
9 years ago

I need a new furnace for my 100 year old, 3 floors, 2300 sq foot house in Southern Ontario as my 25 year old furnace is no longer safe without a $1,000 worth of repairs. I need to move fast as nights are getting cold..

I have got numerous quotes for a new furnace. Most sales people suggested I needed a 80 K BTU furnace (my old one was 100 K but mid eff) but that is where the consensus ends. Some suggested that I get a modulating furnace (Carrier 98 Infinity comes up most often) while some say I would be better with a two stage variable motor furnace (Carrier Infinity 96 or Trane VX95). I have read many forums and am more confused as there also seems to be differing opinions. Given the price between the modulating and two stage variable is only around $350 (and the modulating comes with Infinity wi-fi thermostat vs having to buy one ) I am strongly leaning towards the infinity 98.

I do have the following questions:

1. Putting aside price, given the age and bad insulation in my house, would the modulating be the better option to get heat to cold places places like my 3rd floor?

2. If I am better instead with a two stage variable then is the Infinity 96 or Trane VC95 a better option (as similar price)?

3. If go with a two stage furnace do I need an infinity/trane thermostat or can i simply buy a decent programmable thermostat?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)