SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jack_a_lope

Switching from propane to all-electric heat

Jack_A_Lope
9 years ago

Hello all,

We live in a rural area outside of Cincinnati, OH, and are looking at switching off of propane (natural gas isn't available out here) and onto an electric heat pump for our furnace (and replacing the a/c in the process). The primary reason is the high cost of propane (~$3+/gal), but both of us are wary of gas in the house and we'd love to get rid of the eyesore propane tank next to the house. While I am interested in geothermal, my sense is that it will be cost prohibitive, so we are mainly looking at traditional air-source heat pumps.

Our house is 16 years old and is a 2300 ft2 2-story with a ~1000 ft2 unfinished basement. There are registers going into the basement but most of them are closed off. I only leave one open to circulate air and to keep it warm enough in the winter. I'm not certain, but the propane furnace and air handler in the basement and the a/c unit outside all look to be pretty old, so I'm willing to guess they are the originals with the house.

In reading through these forums for a few weeks, it seems that the two top brands are Carrier and Trane (?). It sounds like Carrier's Infinity Greenspeed line is the most efficient (highest SEER/HSPF) available today and has a pretty quiet noise rating, but is also pricey. I like the efficiency, but for us the big cost savings is going to be the mere fact that we aren't on propane anymore, so I don't necessarily need top-of-the-line equipment to come out ahead. I've also read here about Trane having an electronic defrost on demand feature, which is spoken highly of, but I frankly do not understand the difference between that defrost method and a more standard method, and what the associated benefits would be. Can someone explain the electric defrost feature? As for relative brand quality/reliability, once one picks among the top tier brands, does the quality really boil down to the professionalism of the installer?

I have identified a few companies with good Angie's List ratings in our area, so I am going to start contacting them and getting the heating/cooling load calcs done to see how much of a system we need. I've learned a lot in reading this forum, and hopefully I can get some people's thoughts on my project as it moves forward. Thanks.

Comments (9)