SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natesgram_gw

Pen Pals? Did you ever have one/know of one? (before internet)

natesgram
12 years ago

The thread on the best gifts reminded me of another special person in my life. When I was 12 my English teacher traded names of his students with another teacher who was teaching English in Micronesia. I was given the name of a girl who lived on one of the small islands, her father was the chief in her village. She could write in our language but could not speak it. She wrote of their lives, hunger, religious beliefs, death, and how proud they were of each other. We wrote for 10 years, even past the time when she had to drop out of school to take care of her mother and 8 siblings. Eventually we stopped contact when she could no longer remember english. And then last year while doing a search on the internet, I came across a book that was a collection of letters that her teacher wrote to her own parents. I was able to track down the teacher and just made contact again with my pen-pal. We communicate through her cousin who is a midwife and is able to use the computer at the hospital.

My father-in-law grew up on the east coast and wrote in their church bulletin that he was looking for pen-pals. The bulletin was distributed across the U.S. He was only 12. He received so many replies and wrote to several girls for quite a while. Eventually, he went into Navy and decided to write to the one he had become fond of and also lived farthest away. He spent a few years at war and continued to write. Seven years later when his ship docked on the west coast, he stopped in to see (and surprise) her at the bank where she worked. The rest is history. Our family still has his first letter and picture he sent, a cute little 12 year old boy.

Any pen pals here or know of any stories to share?

Comments (7)