SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Decorating column title?

Sueb20
12 years ago

I'm going to be writing a decorating column for our smallish town newspaper. At this point, I'm not sure if it will be once a month or more. (The paper is a weekly.) The editor of the paper has suggested a "new year, new look" theme for the first one, and I am not yet sure if she will suggest themes for each, or if it will be entirely up to me. I'm thinking it will be a mainly "decorating 101" column with a focus on budget-conscious design. Anyway, I am trying to think of a title for the column. So far I have tossed around Nesting Instincts, Feathering Your Nest, House Proud, and Finishing Touches. It's hard to come up with a name that isn't being used by one of the gazillion decorating blogs that are out there! I did a quick search of each of the above, and didn't see any blogs with those exact titles. Any other ideas -- or do you like any of my ideas? So far, this seems to be the hardest part! Second hardest -- coming up with a headshot, which will also appear with the column!

Comments (21)

• theroselvr
    12 years ago

Is Decorating Place being used? What about something like blog my room? Or Blog By Room?

• les917
    12 years ago

Can you connect it with your name or the name of the town in some way? Is there going to be a central focus, or level of what you will be talking about? In other words, is it just about finishing touches, or will you talk about painting, wallpapering, re-finishing, etc?

How exciting for you, by the way! You will have to post a link or copies (if you can legally) so we can read along!

• Related Discussions

Remember when I was looking for a name for a decorating column?

Q

Comments (31)
    If you can keep posting them then do so. I always need more help. Now I have to go and clear the skiis, helmets, running shoes, backpacks etc out of my front entrance so that guests won't sue me when they break a leg coming into our home.
    ...See More

converting round columns to square columns

Q

Comments (6)
    You need to know if the columns are structural or decorative. Wrapping the existing columns will result in very large square columns that will most likely look way out of place. If the columns are structural, you will need to replace them. That is expensive. Requires building temporary supports to raise the roof, remove the columns, and replace with square. If the columns are just for looks, cut away the round and wrap the actual support members.
    ...See More

Christmas decorating--interior columns

Q

Comments (9)
    I'd be inclined to not swag or wrap anything. Let the tree be the focus. That being said, if you decide to use a garland, those Command hooks are great for attaching many items. Easy to remove with no trace left behind.
    ...See More

decor column/chimney attached to island.

Q

Comments (9)
    I'd embrace it and either expose the existing brick, or else (ideally) wrap it in thin brick/stone veneer so you'd get to pick the color. Can even overdo the mortar to make it look original if that fits the theme IMO if you rock and paint it it'll still stick out but be more of a "wtf is that why is that there" but if it's masonry it's obviously a chimney and could add charm if done right
    ...See More
  • folkvictorian
    12 years ago

I've got no title ideas, but just want to say that I'm excited for you and hope you have a wonderful time with this new adventure! So exciting!

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Is this newspaper accessible online? If so, you want to use a name that has a lot of hits - it's more popular, so it's more likely to show up in a search, read and passed on.

That said, of your three names I like House Proud, as it tells me what the column is about more than the others. Nesting Instincts could be about birds or preparing a new baby.

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

I like House Proud also, it says it all and quickly and you want to capture your readers immediately so you'll gain a loyal following ; it's not like you have to be cutting edge or anything of the sort.

As for the head shot, look at other head shots on designer's websites, see what you like for yourself.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Wow, how exciting for you!!!!

How about:
    Making a House a Home
    House & Home
    Housewise

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I would find a way to get my name into the title. If it were a sewing column, for example, "Sewing with Sue."

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Congrats Sue! Yes, please post the columns so we can enjoy and learn from them too.

I agree with others about getting your name in there. That way as you springboard to new ventures, your following will easily recognize you.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A friend suggested
    Superior Interiors or
    Domestic Designs

Still thinking about House Proud... I like Housewise too! Though at first glance will people think "Housewives"?

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Sue Says Decor

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

No suggestions, but a big congrats, Sue!

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Something that combines decor with the economical slant attached to it . The "on the cheap" sites always get my attention.

Style for a Steal
    Sues Savvy Style
    Half-priced Homestead
    High Style on the Down Low

You get the direction I'm going here.......

• kellyeng
    12 years ago

Brainstorming here:

- Breath of Design
    - Design Requisite
    - Decorative Dwelling
    - Resourceful Interiors
    - Room For Invention

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

We used to have a section called "Real Living" and it focused on all things home & garden, with a lot being related to how people in our community really lived-not some way they'd live in NYC or LA. But then our paper combined with Gannett Publishing and everything came out of the AP, so no more local decorating info.

Anyway, I like that you're able to keep it local, so you might want to use something like that in the title? Sorry, my brain is too fried to come up with something clever, but congratulations on this fun adventure!

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

I forgot to add congratulations, this is exciting !

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

How about "Department of the Interior"?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Terriks, that's a good one!!

The issue I'm having with some suggestions (both here and from a couple of "real life" friends) is that I don't want this title to sound like it's the name of my business... if you know what I mean. For example, Resourceful Interiors sounds like a great name for a business.

Kinda wish the editor had assigned a name. This is a lot of responsibility! (Although maybe not -- for all I know, this column will get cut after the first issue!)

Right now I seem to be focusing on:

House Proud
    Feathering Your Nest
    Department of the Interior

If it helps, here's my rough draft of the beginning of the first column. And can I just say it is very difficult to write only 300-500 words on a topic! Okay, so here's the beginning. If you have editorial comments, please be kind, but basically I'm just including this in case it helps you to "vote" on a column title (just to clarify -- the title I'm looking for is for every column, not specific to the topic of this first one).

January is a time of renewal and resolutions. By now, the tree, the menorah, the boxes and gift wrap have been cleared out, and you may be looking around your home and feeling like something is missing. No, not the shedding Christmas tree or the balls of crumpled wrapping paper. But maybe a few things around the house are not...quite... right. Everything looks okay, but you're not excited about your living room. Your kitchen's a mess. Your bathroom is blah.

Perhaps as you peer around your spaces, you'll find that you've committed some basic decorating sins. Care to redeem yourself? It's not very difficult. Sometimes it's even fun. Following are just a few of the sins you may be unintentionally guilty of.

• sallymo2015
    12 years ago

I agree with pesky's ideas about it being a local article and making the name reflect that. I keep thinking you need to use your town's name in the title. That way it won't sound so business-like. I think the "nest" wording is way overused, but that's my opinion. Congrats on your column. It would be fun to blog the articles at the same time.

• les917
    12 years ago

Being limited in word count can work in your favor. It will make your writing more to the point, and fit a newspaper style.

I think you have a great start for the first column. One thing this column should do is establish what the column is intended to focus on, what the purpose will be week-to-week.

So,this is to be a decorating column - but about DIY, or will you focus on decorative accents and tweaks, or tackle bigger issues? What does the column bring to the reader?

Here is your first column, edited just a bit. I think the first paragraph is good, but the second takes you off in a different direction. Are you about spiffing things up or fixing decorating 'sins'(a term which may be very offputting to folks already feeling badly about their absence of a decorating gene).

"January is a time of resolutions and renewal. The holiday decor has been cleared out, and you may be looking around your home and feeling like something is missing. The house seems to be telling you that a few things are not...quite... right. You're not excited about your living room. Your kitchen's a mess. Your bathroom is blah. But where to begin?

Start here! Together we will explore ideas that can help you make changes and choices to create your dream home. So grab a favorite beverage, find a comfy chair, and let's get decorating!"

As for a title, perhaps "Next-Door Decor" or "Dishing Decor" or "Susie's Cues"

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's great, Les, thanks. I was trying to figure out how to incorporate some kind of "intro" so I am going to use some of your edits!

Next-Door Decor is cute, too.

Still toying with "House Proud in Boston" -- Boston is not my town but it's the same number of syllables. Not giving you people my town. You might stalk me once I become a celebrity columnist.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I like the "decorating sins" theme. It gives you a chance to talk about decorating concepts not just the usual, "give it some pop with a red accent pillow" suggestion.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations