SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Do you have a standard 'small talk' opener?

13 years ago

You know, like when you're at a party and you don't know most of the people, and you end up in a corner with someone you need to make conversation with? What do you say?

We're going to DH's annual office party tomorrow. I know a lot of people in the office, and I tend to stick with them during these parties. But every so often, I find myself with one of his co-workers or their spouses who I don't know, and I feel like I'm always stumbling around for something to say. I am a fairly social person but I guess I spend most of my social time with established friends, or with other parents at my kids' schools, where it's easy to find something to talk about. But when faced with someone entirely new, and often (in this case) someone "fancier" than me (you know, the more sophisticated type who probably didn't have a nervous breakdown over dressing up for her one formal event of the year), I can get intimidated. If DH is with me, I let him start the talking and then I have no problem jumping in, but sometimes he ditches me.

So, what's your opening line? I may write some of them on the inside of my arm tomorrow night.

Comments (15)