SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Need advice....very sick friend

joaniepoanie
10 years ago

A friend was diagnosed with colon cancer 2 years ago. We met through our boys, who went all through school and college together. We both ended up working for the local school system so had that in common as well. We weren't super close, but kept in touch through email, occasional phone calls and would meet for lunch or dinner once or twice a year. She lives a few blocks away. When she was diagnosed she quit work and went on disability because of the chemo treatments. We talked not long ago and she said she was holding her own and the doctors were pleased with her current condition. I sent her an email two weeks ago and had not heard back yet, but that was not unusual...I knew she did not check it regularly.

Well, this morning her husband responded that he took her to the ER Monday morning and that both boys were here...one lives a few hours drive away and the other quite a distance. So, of course I am thinking it is serious and she may be dying.

I feel the need to do something but just don't know what. My first thought was to bring them dinner but I don't want to intrude and it's also too unseasonably warm to leave something at the door...not knowing their schedule or if they are all keeping vigil.

Any suggestions? I am just distraught....her younger son is getting married in May...it breaks my heart that she may not see him or her other son get married, enjoy grand kids, etc...

Comments (11)