SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Vitamin B12......Teacats & Other B12'ers.

Oakley
12 years ago

Teacats, you wrote in another topic, "Although a good solid dose of B12 (love those B vitamins!) would help too!"

I have both B12 and B6 in pill form here at home. I heard they give you energy, so I tried taking one of each daily. I didn't see any improvement after a week so I stopped.

Can you tell me how much you take a day, and how long to take it to see a difference?

Anyone else who can contribute to this is welcome to share your story with the B vitamins.

Comments (23)

• User
    12 years ago

Vitamin B is great for energy, a B shot hurts like the dickens when you get it but always turns me into the energizer bunny afterwards. That said, maybe your problem isn't from a lack of vitamin B at all. Anemia or low iron can easily cause low energy as well and is more common. If you take iron and it doesn't help, then I would stop at this point and consult a physician. A lack of energy can be caused by anything from poor nutrition or a need for more exercise (poor blood circulation) to more serious issues.

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

If you feel like you have low energy, I would get a work up. If your Dr won.t do it, go to a nutritionist. I think you need yor levels tested before you can figure out what to take, and how much to take.

My dad told his Dr for years he thought his energy was low. I convinced him to convince her to test his levels. Turns out his Vit D was 10. Severely low. It might not be vitamins you are lacking at all as well. It could be something else, but I would start there.

• teacats
    12 years ago

I take a very basic multi-vitamin with lots of different Bs in it.

BUT I have taken a dose-a-day (one pill) of B6 (the p5p forumla) which helped my peri-menopausal mood swings. When I FIRST started the B6 -- I took one in the morning and one at night. What a flipping difference in my moods! :) Called it my "happy pill" Did the twice-daily for about two weeks -- and then switched to a daily one.

My mum has had monthly B12 injections for years -- and her energy levels have always been very good! Now 91 years young! :)

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I prefer the all b with c combo. I don't take vitamins year round, but during col/flu season we take this combo. It's good for the immune system.

Tina

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I get full blood work every three months. My iron & other stuff is good.

Teacats, do they test your mom before giving her the shots? I get my bloodwork done on Monday so I may ask about it.

I think I'll start off with taking 2 B's a day and see what happens. I think I did read it takes time for it to kick in. It's just that me and patience aren't friends. lol

I do think some people are born with more energy while others are not. Type A vs. Type B personality. I'm definitely a Type B striving for an A.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Good point Boop! My grandmother was put on Vitamin D. I don't think this is something tested in routine bloodwork, so you might ask. A nutritionist is another good suggestion. I know I feel like a SLUG if I eat a bunch of junk, or more specifically WHITE STUFF, especially sugar, regular pasta (not whole what), bread, etc. I guess we really are what we eat!

• teacats
    12 years ago

Yes -- mum always had her bloodwork done -- and those shots were just the ticket to add to her energy levels.

((plus a wee glass of sherry .... LOL!))

• judiegal6
    12 years ago

I've been told that when taking a B12 Pill supplement, to take the sublingual tablet (2500 mcg). They are absorbed much better that way. Works for me.

• User
    12 years ago

Oak, I wouldn't take 2 Vitamin B, too much of some vitamins or minerals can have some severe adverse effects. You may want to consult with your doctor first.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

lukki is right. I was diagnosed with neuropathy in my feet, and my doctor told me to avoid taking a lot of B6, as it can cause or worsen the neuropathy.

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

I have pernicious anemia & require B12 shots every two weeks (been on it for years, & have regular blood testing). My level was so low (below 30) that initially I needed daily shots for about a week. It took at least 18 months before I saw any difference. I find these days a lot of people seem to get the shots even if they are not truly anemic. I read somewhere that some celebrities (the rich & famous set) routinely have a B12 injection as a hangover cure.

Here is a link that might be useful: lots of info here

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Do I remember correctly you have Type 2 Diabetes? The amount of sugar you've been eating over the holidays could be contributing to your tiredness. I also have Type 2 and was absently popping Christmas candy in my mouth a couple of weeks ago and falling asleep in the chair at 4 every day. The sugar also affects my mood in not such a good way - makes me weepy and b**chy.

I cut out the sugar and my problem was solved. Seems like I remember you recently mentioning eating candy and baklava (very high in sugar). I also take B vitamins and find they add to my energy.
    Dee

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i found when i took a multi B vitamin at night, i couldn't sleep!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dee, my blood levels are good. Doctor cut my meds in half and said I may go med free soon. And I've been eating sugar during this time, but not a lot.

I've been this way since my hysterectomy. Plus I hear menopause zaps women's energy, and it's a normal thing that effects a lot of women my age. It's the biggest complaint I hear from my friends as they age, lack of energy.

This morning when I was taking Christmas decorations down I had TV on Kathie Lee and Hoda. Hoda started talking about how she takes her B vitamin and gets a lot of energy, and she gave KL one too, and KL said she got a boost of energy too. Hoda was practically swearing by B12! lol

I wish Hoda said what strength and how ofetn she takes it!

Since B's are water soluable and don't build up, I'm going to stick to two a day. Vitamins that aren't water soluble like "A" will literally kill you if you take too much. I need to get my nutrition book from college out and go over it again. I made an A in that class. Now I've forgotten everything! lol

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one here who was inspired to start taking B12 after that initial thread . . . and after hearing Hoda talk about it on their show (don't you love it?). I now take the sublingual kind, and find I have more and more energy lately.

BTW, if you like Hoda, you should read her autobiography. It's a great read, funny at times and very interesting. The title makes me chuckle every time I see it!
    "Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer, and Kathie Lee "
    Lynn

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynn, how do I find sublingual B12? Walmart? How long did it take for you to notice you had more energy?

How much do you take a day? I do my bloodwork today and there's a small pharmacy inside so I'm going to see if Steve has any of the sublingual. I think I read it helps the body to absorb the vitamin.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Oakley, I think I got it at Walmart. I take 2 each morning and it took about two weeks for me to notice the difference.
    Lynn

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I have purchased the sublingual B12 at Trader Joes.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ended up getting the liquid at my pharmacy, it absorbs faster, and it's sublingual too.

Today was my checkup and I gained 13 pounds over Christmas! The doctor walked in and said, "Hiya fatty!" LOL He's a good friend so it's okay.

Okay, I admit, I had more than one Baklava. And more of other stuff. ;)

Funny thing is, he said my glucose level was normal and he has no clue why. It's been normal for six months now.

He said to take 1,000 of B12. Is that what the rest of you take?

• User
    12 years ago

I have a B12 but prefer to take a complex B instead.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

YIKES! Perhaps they were wrong in your initial diagnosis? I guess as long as it's normal, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you've gain weight and it's still normal!

I'm so glad the treats are gone - I really had a hard time when I would be at work and people were constantly bringing goodies in! We did try to increase our walking during the holidays to compensate. Today has been a great day to get outside - it's 60 degrees out there and beautiful!

tina

• User
    12 years ago

I did really good this holiday. Not one treat. No candy, chips or junk. I didn't really miss it either!

• lynxe
    12 years ago

If you feel like you have low energy, you could always do what I did: eat vegan. :) I went nearly 100% vegan in Jan. 2010; now follow the way of eating described in the books Eat to Live and Eat for Health, also Super Immunity, all by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. My energy levels are off the charts, and I haven't had foggy brain, the feeling that I have to nap, or sluggishness since 2010. My DH had what he called one of the worst colds of his life about 2 weeks ago, and - for the first time ever - I did not catch his cold. Now that I think about it, I haven't had a cold or any other illness in at least a year, and the only thing I did have was a cold that lasted only a few days.

Since I'm almost 100% vegan, I take vitamin B12, sublingually, although not daily, and I also take vitamin D. I don't take any other vitamins any more, but I probably will begin taking a DHA supplement.