SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleenca

Update on pork belly

kathleenca
12 years ago

I asked a couple of months ago if anyone had experience with pork belly. It's all the rage here in Southern California with chi-chi chefs: I see it mentioned frequently in restaurant reviews in the Los Angeles Times Food section.

A few CF people responded saying they either had eaten or had not eaten pork belly. I looked for it in the grocery stores, but didn't find it.

Well, folks, I am here to tell you I think pork belly is disgusting. We were in Charleston, SC, the last few days, & ate at Poogan's Porch, a very good restaurant. I ordered Pork Two Ways, BBQed/shredded, & pork belly. Shredded was wonderful. Pork belly was soft, warm, & jellied - rather like what you would cut off a ham, only worse. (their macaroni & cheese with Brie & ham was wonderful - so flavorful).

UGGHHH! I kept reminding myself that I wanted to try pork belly... it was an experiment; but it turned out to be one I will not repeat. There were a couple of VERY thin tendrils of meat on top of the belly, & the rest was all jellied fat. I couldn't stomach it. I'm glad I didn't buy it & try to cook it - I think I would have thought it was my fault. Blechh!!

Comments (10)