SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
balego_gw

Overseas postage -discouraging!

balego_gw
14 years ago

Our son is Australia on a 4 year sponsorship with his company, and we are in Canada. I'm discouraged to see how expensive it is to send a parcel! I had wanted to send him a Christmas package, he doesn't need a lot but there are things he misses from home. Certain toiletries and products he cannot get there, items that aren't expensive, but that would make him happy to receive. For instance, he misses Bounce dryer sheets. lol. He said they don't have anything like them there and he misses his clothes smelling nice out of the dryer. He misses his favourite brands of toiletries, and said the selection there is very limited. So I thought a package of his favourite things would be nice.. until I checked the cost of mailing it! A box measuring 15 inches square by 8 inches tall, weighing 10lbs, would cost $198. And a box that small wouldn't hold a lot, so if I went larger it goes up to about $259 or so.

When he first went to Australia, we had to send him a piece of mail that had come here for him. One regular sized envelope. The cost was over $7, but that could take up to 60 days to get to him. When we asked how much it would cost to get it to him within a week, we were quoted the price of $56! For one little envelope!

So, Christmas is approaching and I would like our son to have a little something on Christmas. But gosh! The postage cost makes that unreasonable. We could order something online right within Australia and have it delivered to him, but that isn't the same as something he misses from home that he would love to have. Needless to say, It is very discouraging. We would love to mail things back and forth, and we felt horrible to discover that our son paid almost $300 for a package he sent here for his fathers' 60th. We only found out the cost when we got a bill asking for another $36 for brokerage fees on this end.

How do people send a piece of home to loved ones far away, with such high postage fees?!

Comments (17)