SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandywine72

Wood countertops - need your help!

Brandywine72
10 years ago

Hello,

We have finally decided (I think!) to go with wood counters instead of salvaged marble. I've done tons of reading and am asking the below questions to vendors but wanted to hear your answers too.

Attached are pics of our counter space. Plywood and granite slab are temporary. Our goal is for the floor, cabinets, and counters to meld into one sea of color; we want the visual interest and pops of color to come instead from large artwork above the sink and our salvaged light fixtures and hardware.

1. Have you used Rubio Monocoat on a counter?

(I know Waterlox is great, but I am concerned about the potential odor. Since cancer treatment I react soooo strangely to all kinds of smells and we used Rubio on our floors and I had no problems.)

2. Moisture barrier with dishwasher, is it needed and what would we use?

3. Do underside and topside of counters get stained/treated?

4. What is used to affix an undermount sink? How will those expoy/bonding agents interact with the stain /treatment (likely Rubio) ?

What else do we need to know about or do to prevent mold around the sink? This is my greatest concern with wood. So many great photos of wood countertops on houzz are just islands without sinks in them, which worries me.

5. Should we get long planked butcher block or use a whole slab of a tree that has no glued pieces other than the big seams? Pros and cons of each?

6. What is a good wood to use? I assume something hard?

7. What light colors of wood would take well to my custom rubio to match the floor and cabinets?

I custom mixed Rubio color. The floor is 160 year old salvaged heart pine and I'm excited about how well we matched them to our cheap-o Made In China cabinets. I have left over custom Rubio mix and think a light color wood could achieve a better match than something like a dark Walnut.

8. Where would the seam go in the L return? What considerations need to be made with seams?

9. Where should we get our wood from? Looking into John Boos, Grothouse, and local mills and salvage yards. (We are not fans of big box shopping otherwise we'd go for Ikea or Lumber Liquidators. The pics I have seen of both on this site are gorgeous)

1. What should we look for in a contractor or carpenter who is doing the work? We are not handy, don't have the time, and can afford to hire.

Thanks so much!

Brandy

Comments (22)