SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nu_homeowner

Spacepak A/C - Need to Replace

13 years ago

Hello,

I live in Richmond, VA and have a 1500 square foot house built in 1942. About 14 years ago central air was installed via a Spacepak system (high-pressure, very narrow ducts). It has a 10 Seer Rheem (again, around 14 years old).

While the AC runs electric, I have a gas fired boiler for my heat (my preference would be to continue to keep these separate).

The ductwork has some leaks, which have been taped up. The air handler is in the attic, which is poorly insulated (i will look to tackle this later in the fall).

Am thinking about replacing the unit to take advantage of the tax credit. Any of you guys ever work on/have suggestions for a spacepak system? Would appreciate any advice you could offer. Off the top of your head, what would be the ball park price to test/repair the ducts, replace the a/c and air handler to a high efficiency unit?

Lastly, not sure if it would fit, but would it make sense to relocate the air handler out of the very hot attic and move it to the crawl space? perhaps this is a naive question, bit figured some experts out there could weigh in.

Thanks in advance,

Nu

Comments (4)