SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ausprim

Gas or Electric/Heat Pump?

15 years ago

I am going a little crazy trying to work out the best solution. We have decided to give up our 25 year old steam boiler to see how forced heat/cool or heat pump work in our particular house. Have a forced heat/air system on the main level (1200 sq. ft.). Getting bids for the bedroom level (1200 sq. ft.) which is only now air conditioning (no heat). We have an attic above bedrooms not needing heat/air (heat rises  insulated  used for storage and a "dungeon basement" which also doesnÂt need heat/air.

I have received four bids, 2 for heat pump or electric heat for the area and 2 for gas furnace/air . Two contractors pushing heat pumps say the amps. are o.k. Two contractors pushing for gas are saying the ampage is not the best but will work o.k. with gas forced system and both gas contractors say I would need to increase ampage if I go with a heat pump or just plain electric forced air (trying to talk me out of heat pump/electric heat/cool). This involves paying electrician at least another $1,500.00 to up the ampage.

104 year old house with 200 amps updated 9 years ago.

I am waiting on a fifth bid, I wonder what he will come up with?

Any ideas on what is required regarding ampage in a house with two forced heat/air systems covering around 2200 square feet and just general stuff in the house (computers, lights, etc).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)