SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pat_kane_gw

A/C died and faced w/ $5K-13K bill. Need quick education.

pat.kane
14 years ago

Figures today would be the hottest day of the year and my 6-yr old Trane XB10 2TTB0030A (10 SEER, 2.5-ton) unit died last night, one year out of warranty. Compressor appears to have shorted--line load and ground have continuity.

I have to get up to speed quickly as I have a major decision to make in the next day or two. 5-hrs of reading posts is helping, but I'm lacking some basics.

House is in Arlington VA and is 2 story w/ full walk-out, finished basement. Over 3,000 sq.ft., about 1,000 sq.ft. per level. 2nd story added in 2004 by prior owner. Boiler (hot water baseboard) and A/C for original 1st floor and basement. A/C and FAU in attic for 2nd story. No Manual J calculation has been done (anyone in the area willing to do one quickly for a fee?).

It is the 2nd story A/C that died.

Repairman relayed following options to me over the phone as I'm away from home this week on travel.

Option 1: fit Carrier 13 SEER coil into existing air handler. New Carrier outdoor unit (model not mentioned). Either chemical flush existing line or replace with new. Cost approx. $5,000.

Option 2: new 2-stage A/C and furnace. Carrier Infinity 19-21 SEER. New lines. Approx. $13,000 minus $1,000 rebate.

I obviously need more details, but doing this over the phone between meetings has been difficult. Reading online would seem to indicate I have some mid-priced options, e.g., Carrier Performance 15.

I'm wondering about heat pumps and whether they make sense for the Washington DC area. With baseboard heating on the main level, would a heat pump alone suffice upstairs? If not, does a dual fuel system make sense?

I really like the idea of a variable speed air handler. The FAU in the attic blows quite a bit of cold air through the attic ducts before the hot air flows. If I'm understanding the variable speed correctly, we could leave the fan running at a low speed to minimize the temperature swing.

Any and all assistance appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Comments (11)