SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Hows this soup recipe look to you?

marys1000
13 years ago

I like Panera's Low Fat,Vegetarian Garden Vegetable with basil and this turned up in a search. Panera seems to be basic tomato based not thick veggie soup. Found this on recipezaar and thought I'd use if for basic liquid and measurement proportions? I don't think I'd use corn (sugar), maybe frozen green beans instead. I was thinking real garlic (how much?) instead of garlic salt.

I think I'll throw in a hand full of pearl barley instead of pasta and then finish with a little basil in olive oil.

Any other thoughts on overall proportions of liquids/ingrediants? Techiques (I thought I'd sautee the onion, garlic at least before adding liquid) Other suggestions?

Just trying to avoid sugar, salt, fat for health reasons right now and this looked like something I could make and take to work for lunch. I don't have a standard recipe of this sort of thing of my own.

Ingredients

* 5 cups vegetable stock

* 1 cup tomato puree

* 2/3 cup water

* 1/3 cup small semolina pasta

* 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes

* 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet whole kernel corn

* 1 1/2 cups crinkle cut frozen carrots

* 5 stalks celery hearts, chopped

* 1 sliced red bell pepper

* 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced

* 1 tablespoon garlic salt

* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

* 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped

Directions

Combine vegetable stock, tomato puree, and water in a large pot and stir together. leave stove hot enough for mixture to bubble a little.

Once tomato mixture has had a chance to heat, add pasta and can of diced tomatoes (along with the juice in the can). add olive oil and garlic salt.

Cook frozen corn and carrots in a separate pot; add to mixture when cooked.

After all vegetables have been chopped/sliced, add to mixture.

Let soup cook on stove for about 15-20 minutes, until all vegetables have softened and absorbed the mixture. enjoy!

Comments (3)