SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778634

Computer question......

User
12 years ago

I already asked on the computer forum but had no luck.

I am having trouble with freeze ups and "not Responding" messages. (especially here at the KT) Is it a virus or can I do something about it? I have run many scans and cleaned out like someone advised. I am still having a fit with it.

Any suggestions?

Comments (20)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

are you familiar with Windows Task Manager, or do you know how to bring it up?

I have the freeze-ups and Not Responding as well, but solve it by shutting down things, via Windows Task Manager, that are not needed. I keep an eye on PF usages under the Performance tab of Windows Task Manager. When it gets high, (near 1 GB) I close my browser (Firefox) via the Windows Task Manager and use Advanced System Care 4 (free) and do a scan of Privacy Sweep and let it fix all problems.

Under Task Manager, I also watch the Mem Usage for FF (under Process) and when it nears 400,000, I shut it down and do the Privacy Sweep. When it freezes if you look at the Mem usage for your browser, under Processes in win task man, you will see it either dropping, or else rising and coming back up, so it will unfreeze. Then I do the Ad Sys Scan Privacy Sweep.

I've found when it isn't responding, that if I wait long enough it will start responding again, thus won't lose info, and then I can proceed to shut down FF and scan.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Joann, I'm sure that Raven or someone a lot more knowledgeable than I will have better info but our IT guy's first question to me is always whether I have run C Cleaner. That usually fixes it, they told me to run it as many time as needed until I have zero, or close to zero problems found. This DOES delete cookies.

Here is a link that might be useful: C Cleaner

• Related Discussions

Not a computer question but a DVD player question

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanx for searching thanswer, zep516. I sure was hoping there was an easier way than having to set points since mine won't work.
    ...See More

Computer question about startup program

Q

Comments (4)
    I hope you're able to get your PC cleaned up. If this is an instance of the installation of unwanted items and that's happened before, that might suggest that your security software isn't doing its job. And/or that your internet use habits need to be reviewed a bit. Once you get things back to normal, if you're not using one already, you might consider using a well rated security system. When you use a comprehensive program, utilities like Win Patrol become unnecessary. Attached as information for other readers is a link with trusted ratings of available programs. The not-free versions tend to be more comprehensive. The better rated free ones are capable but many have fewer features. Getting a multi-user license you share within your family or friends can reduce the cost. Also, many internet providers provide top rated products for free to subscribers. Good luck Antivirus software ratings
    ...See More

Computer question

Q

Comments (11)
    My bet is webpage developer error.... they were probably working from a webpage template that said "contact.edu" and they were supposed to replace it with the actual email address of the person or dept or whatever. Follow the same format as the "realname" ones, but substituting the name of the person you want to contact, and it should work. If it doesn't work, all you'll get is a bounced email to verify it. Some mail servers will notify immediately if there's a bounce, and others will attempt delivery for days before you're notified of a bounce, so send it and wait. :)
    ...See More

Computer question about browser

Q

Comments (16)
    I don't really even understand the difference. between a search engine and the browser? the browser would be IE, Firefox, MS Edge, Chrome... that's where you have your tabs, favorites list etc search engine would be - google, bing etc - what you pull up in your browser to search the internet. I stick with google for searching and I hate MS Edge. Will be reDLing IE in the next few days to give it a whirl if I can port over my favorites list. Otherwise I'm not switching even tho MSE is a pita.
    ...See More
  • kayjones
    12 years ago

I run CCleaner every day when I shut down my computer, but if it is slow or something doesn't run fast enough, I run it anytime - works great for me.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How do you find the task manager? What is PF usages?
    I'm pretty computer illiterate. Thanks

Is the CCleaner safe to download? Is it the same as a disk cleaner? I already did that when I had the problem last week.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

I had a similar problem and used the cleaners regularly, had ads and pop-ups blocked, etc. Eventually, I found that getting a new computer with more RAM solved the problem.

12 years ago

I too recommend using CCleaner.

How do you find the task manager?
    Do you know what Operating System you have?
    Windows XP
    Windows 7? Other?

With Windows XP it is opened by holding down on Ctrl key (found in the lower left on the keyboard), the Alt key (found 2 keys over from the Ctrl key) and the Delete key at The Same Time.

Once you get Windows Task Manager open, we can go from there with what it shows you.

Mine is running a bit slow now, but I just looked and see I have 52 tabs open...talk about not cleaning up after myself....

12 years ago

I forgot to add, (since you admitted to being computer illiterate), to be kind of careful when you download and install CCleaner.

Be sure to just get the free one, and be careful and read each screen so it won't automatically download and install anything extra, like a toolbar. You usually have to UNCHECK some boxes so things won't automatically be added to whatever it is you are actually wanting. You can do it...just proceed slowly and read things as you go along.

If you know someone who is quite computer savvy, and that you really trust, you could have them remotely access your computer and let them see what they can do...just a thought. If you ever do allow anyone access that way, your permission must be given and they cannot access it again in the future unless permission is given again each time. I 'think' I have it set up on mine, in case I want my local computer guy, that I trust, to help me out, if needed.

Sue

• cat_ky
    12 years ago

If you are going to use CCleaner, please disable the registry part. Registry cleaners can get you into big trouble. I suspect, you also have too much running in your startup, and that is partly what is causing your problems. Good Luck

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

Yes you can use ccleaner use in default setting and definitely leave the registry cleaner option alone.

Are you having this problem with only one browser? I would get a second browser and try that.
    If you are using internet explorer in settings try turning off all add ons and see if it could be one of them causing it.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

1. Have you tried to disable programs that you don't need to be running in the background when you start up?

2. How old is this computer? How much RAM? What operating system?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

CCleaner - Slim
    go there and be sure you go to the third one down you want the slim version so you don't get any extra toolbars installed.

IF you would please tell me which browser you are using and which version of that browser I can give you more specific directions. Till we know if this happens on more than one browser it will be hard to trouble shoot. you say it is only happening on GW site??

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

I've experienced the same problem mostly with this site. Most of the time, it happens when you click an URL to go to a different site. A few links posted here are 'bad' ones landing you on an unresponsive sites. Sometimes, this is due to bad programming by the site builder.

I've had hangups so severe that I have had to 'crash' the computer by powering-off. On restart, one should allow the system to perform its automated disk check. This is a necessary nusiance.

Recently, I installed a new copy of Norton Internet Security (renewed subscription). This time, I bought the version that included Norton Utilities. I made use of some of the clean-up utilities and the performance of my computer improved with fewer hangups.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I use IE and I have XP. All the other stuff is foreign to me. Computer is about 4 yrs old (dell) lots of space availabe. DH used to take care of all this stuff, I just don't know about these things.
    I got to the task Mgr. but now what? What do you do with all the stuff listed?

• Tabby_cat
    12 years ago

I'm another that uses CCleaner regularly. You might want to consider an introduction to computers class that are often offered at community colleges. I took one a few years ago and it has been a big help.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

you really should have more than one browser on any pc because if your IE fails you are not able to get online to try to get help, so putting another browser like firefox or chrome would be a very very good idea and it may help with this issue too because it sounds like it could be a browser issue.
    Adding another browser is super simple, you just go to the link download it then install it, it will ask if you want to import your settings and bookmarks to the new one from the old one say yes (it does nothing to the old one so no worries) and it will set up the new one just like the other one. Then you just choose which one to use each time you want to go online, either the IE icon or the firefox icon. It really is that simple.
    Here is the download link for firefox give it a try.
    even if you do not want to use it you should have one installed just in case.
    Firefox
    here it shows step by step with pictures
    Installing Firefox on Windows

it will ask if you want to make firefox default just say no that can be changed at any time, and say yes to all the importing items, every thing else just accept as it wants to as default.

If you are not computer techy I do not think I would have you going into the task manager and turning things off, in some cases you can get into trouble if you do that to the wrong thing. However you can go there to see what is using up the most cpu resources, that will be the item under the list of processes that has the largest number in that column.

I think since it is on just this site you have a browser conflict and it could well be caused by one of the many ads on this site.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I downloaded the CCleaner but when I went to run it, it said it would delete files so I am afraid to do it. What does it delete? I am analyzing it now and its taking forever. I never have like FireFox on windows. I will stick to IE

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I did it, I ran the scan, I hope it will work now. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know hot it turns out.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

The reason we keep asking you to install FireFox is so we can determine if this problem is caused by ie you never have to use it just put it on to try this then leave it alone dont use it but some day when your ie fails to work you will be real happy it is there.
    With out that not much else I can help with if we are unable to see if it is ie related. That is why you were asked several times on CH to try another browser.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

As I had noted since this is happening here at GW mainly, you can read this thread posted at CH where this problem is discussed and this person did try firefox thankfully.
    GW-Ad Servers Delaying Browser?

Those of us with ad block plus on firefox with the easylist subscription are not having this problem because it blocks those big new video ads that are now being displayed on several GW pages. When something that large tries to load at the same time the page is trying to load it just slows it down drastically or grinds to a halt. Unless using a browser that has a great blocker that blocks those type ads there is not much you can do but complain to GW about those type ads and what it is causing.
    We have multiple times given the instructions on how to install firefox, adblock plus and easylist, extremely simple to do and will remove all ads. I personally do not know why anyone would put up with those kinds of ads.when you do not have to.

• cynic
    12 years ago

Freeze up and not responding are often related to your internet connection. Are you using a wireless connection? If so, try a direct connection and see if there's a difference.

As stated before I'm not a fan of Firefox and especially for someone who's not very computer "techy". It requires a lot of updates and things so it's definitely more for the geeks. I'd recommend Opera long before it. Opera is a proven, well designed browser and not a committee project. K-meleon is another good browser, albeit more simple. It's also open source, as is Firefox but doesn't seem to have anywhere near the issues Firefox has. Chrome is a relative newcomer but a very good browser and I'm using it more and more although nothing compares to Opera in my book. All three are much faster browsers than Firefox too and I definitely notice the difference. I always encourage people to try out several browsers and give them a workout so they get a good feel for them. I'm troubled when I hear people claim there's only one of most anything in the way of good programs. FWIW I often run two or three different browsers at the same time. You don't have to be committed to just one browser.

I totally disagree with those who fear registry cleaners and saying to never use them is poor advice. There's also people who say to never do Windows Updates or update virus/malware definitions, or to never run a disk check or defrag because "it can cause problems, which is equally bad advice. I would not recommend using registry cleaners daily but I've used Ccleaner (and other registry cleaners) for probably 10 years now and on thousands of computers I've serviced and set up over the years. Not once has there been as issue attributable to any registry cleaner I've recommended. If you're apprehensive about it, back up the registry. Simple enough. Now you do it by doing a "system restore". Also, Ccleaner gives you the option to make a backup of the changes made. Again, if apprehensive, do it. A good friend of mine always said never show fear to a computer - they smell it! :) And I always say backup your computer. At least important stuff.

People don't seem to understand what the "registry" actually is. It's not a mysterious deity watching over you every day. It's nothing more than a text file, one of the simplest files on a computer.

Now I will agree that haphazardly using registry cleaners that aren't proven could and I emphasise could cause issues. But the registry cleaner in Ccleaner is a very basic cleaner. There are many that go far deeper in cleaning on the registry and some are very good but like anything, there's good and bad.

The easiest way to access the task manager is to right click on an open spot on the taskbar and select task manager.

How old is your computer, what version of Windows are you running and what do you use for maintenance on it? Are you running a firewall? Do you do the Windows Updates regularly? Have you done a disk check and defrag lately? Updated virus/malware definitions?