SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

Concerned for My Brother (Really Long)

Cherryfizz
16 years ago

I've been worried about my brother Paul since October. When I had him over for Thanksgiving dinner here in October I noticed he was drinking a lot of fluids, and I mean a lot. He must have drank 24 cans of regular pop then he went out and got juice. He has noticed he was urinating quite frequently. I told him I was worried he had diabetes and he should stop drinking the pop. He said he was tested just a couple of months previously but his blood sugar levels were within normal range.

I told him how concerned I was about him having diabetes. He did switch to diet pop and started to drink water but he was still going to the bathroom frequently. I kept asking him when he was going to see a Doctor. Paul did go on a diet and he lost quite a bit of weight before Christmas which was a good thing.

Paul has been waiting for knee surgery since last February and has been off work. He was scheduled for his surgery December 17 but it was cancelled and I was glad he wasn't laid up over Christmas, the surgery was rescheduled for January 15th.

just before Christmas he went for some pre-operative tests at the hospital and he was called by his surgeon's office that the anesthesiolgist wanted to speak with him. He had that appointment today.

Late last night he was at my house and ate some homemade lasagna and a candy cane. I told him he shouldn't be eating sugar anymore if he thought he had diabetes and he said "I don't have it yet" meaning he hasn't been diagnosed but I know all the signs. LOL

So he just stopped by after the appointment with the anesthesiologist and asked me what a normal blood sugar level is and I said anywhere between 4 and 7. He laughed and I asked him what his was - he said 20.

I just about freaked out. My Mom's was 26 and she went into a diabetic coma but she had undiagnosed pancreatic cancer at that time. I told him he shouldn't be driving to Richmond Hill (4 hours) tomorrow and he said the Doctor almost didn't let him drive home.

I think he should have been admitted to the hospital until he is regulated! I don't think he will be having his surgery next week. He already had an appointment to see an endocrinologist in 2 days so maybe he will put Paul in the hospital or at least get him started on a course of treatment. Paul was never given a fasting blood sugar test yet.

Paul thinks having the lasagna late last night and eating about 6 oranges put his blood sugar levels to 20. He said he also had a croisant sandwich this morning before he went to the Doctor. The anethesiologist did a finger prick test which showed his sugar to be 20.

I tried to give him some information I had on diabetes and my Diabetes for Dummies book but he wouldn't take it. I just want him to be more knowledgeable until he see the endocrinologist and then for sure he will be meeting with a diabetic educator who will set him up with a blood testing kid. I gave my Mom's kit away and now wished I kept it so he could test his blood during the day to see if his levels come down with eating the proper foods.

I called Paul up but he wasn't home so I left him a message and told him to not eat any carbs or starches or fruit and to just eat salad, free veggies and some protein until he sees the other doctor.

Paul said he feels good except for the thirst and going to the bathroom all the time. My Dad had age onset diabetes and was just on the pills. Paul is worried he might have to use insulin injections and I told him he most likely will be put on pills and to exercise and diet first. I am hoping it is not more than diabetes. My Mom had pancreatic cancer as did her brother and her cousin.

I just hope he can get this under control. I said if he follows the diabetic diet he will have to eat his 3 meals a day plus snacks and he will be eating better than he is now. No more big bowls of his Greek pasta salads for him.

Poor Paul, he called this. LOL He said just days after his ex-wife died something bad was going to happen to him. He and the girls suffered for years and life was finally going to be normal again with no financial worries. He figured it was too good to be true. He was right.

I just hope he will listen and do what he needs to do to keep this under control. I'm a bit worried though, because he is soooo stubborn.

He's my little brother - well not exactly little LOL and we are very close. He is the only one of my siblings I can count on for sure whenever I need help.

Sorry for the length of this post. I just needed to talk. I am really worried. He seemed a little scared today.

Thanks for listening.

Anne

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County