SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikec_dsm

A/C Trane Question

14 years ago

I have a Trane XL14I (4) ton unit install in June of 2005 when I built my new home. I live in NE PA where we use the AC for maybe 2 months. Last year (June 2008) the startup capacitor fried.. Last night the unit died again. My HVAC guy came up and said the capacitor went bad (it did not fry this time). This to me seems very unusual. He started down the road of low voltage ect and I informed him I had a transformer installed 60 ft from my home for this very reason as IÂm 700ft from the road.

IÂm not having any other problems with any appliance, light bulbs or heavy duty woodworking equipment I have (5 HP 20" planer, 3HP shaper).

I also notice from day 1 when my AC starts up I get some light dimming. My last house had a 3 ½ ton York and I never had that problem.

Is this an AC issue? I had our power company check my line twice and I have no problem. I pulled the breaker and checked all the connections.

I was looking at upgrading this to a heat pump to help offset the price of oil but Trane is not impressing me here. My HVAC was suggesting a XL 20 I as a replacement. Plus I canÂt find a number to call Trane so they send you to either a dealer or ask for you to leave them an e-mail.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment