SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darktiger

A/C Units and Trane XL14i question (Houston) - help/info needed.

darktiger
14 years ago

I am located in Houston, TX. The heat and humidity is high here and I am sure it effects what I am requesting.

I had a friend who installed two goodman units to my recently purchased house. Well the bottom one works fine, but the top one is not working as well as I want it to. I am thinking about having the goodman replaced with a trane XL14i and maybe a new air handler. The current AC is taking a lot of moisture out of the air and almost filling up the pan underneath the airhandler's coils. Also no matter what time of the day it is, upstairs never goes under 81 unless it is 1 am. I am aware that heat rises, etc, etc. But my last house when I put it at 75ðF on the second floor in the middle of a hot summer day, it goes there within the hour. But that was a carrier.

Sears is coming by for a free estimate so I can get a idea of what they can do.

I might do a zone load test. But how much should I be expecting (ballpark figure) for a trane XL14i and maybe an decent Air Handler? What are some decent price/performance models that you all can recommend? I am poor from remodeling and purchasing this house(well until I build up more equity). So I am watching my budget. Also I really do not need a machine to last 20years, but something like 10 because I probably will not be in this house in 10 years......

Also who would you all trust in the Houston, TX area (for those of you who live in the area)?

Comments (5)