SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumngal_gw

Bigger window is in and lighting suggestions?

autumngal
15 years ago

Last night my husband took out the circa 1970 smaller window and enlarged the window to the original 1898 size! I am so excited! The drop ceiling is down, along with the top layer of plaster and lathe (the bottom was taken out during either that or an eariler reno to put in sheetrock). Where the other drop ceiling is visible, is an addition, which we are keeping the lower ceiling for. This is going to be an eat in area where we will eventually put a door out to a deck in the back yard. Our plan is to keep the sink where it is with counter to ceiling uppers on either side and a narrow island in the middle (the range will be here). I realize this isn't a dream layout, but it works for us and the space.

Lighting wise my original plan was this: Above the island I was planning a pot rack (made by a friend who is a welder) with some pendants peeking through. We can't do recessed lights because I don't want to drop the ceiling at all- so I was planning on two schoolhouse lights in the general kitchen area, and in the eating area (where the ceiling is dropped)I was going to have a pulley light over the table with a possible schoolhouse semi-flush over where the door will be. My husband isn't thrilled with pretty much any of my lighting choices and really doesn't like the idea of a pot rack. He's suggested doing some lighting over the island and then possibly doing a wall sconce (we have sconces in the living room). I reformed my plans to have the schoolhouse pendants over the island, with a wall sconce from rejuvination and changing the over the table light to a upward facing chandelier from rejuvination (we are planning on a tin ceiling in the dropped ceiling bit). He's not a fan of that either- any suggestions on Victorian-like or older looking lighting that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I think my husband's issues with the rejuvination lights were more the cost. If I'm really passionate about the pot rack I can get it back, does anyone with one have an opinon? I love the idea and looks of them but have never had one before, I don't know if it's worth insisting on.

Thanks!

Here's the real estate photos before:

Here's where we are now!

same view as the first photo:

Comment (1)