SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresa2_gw

coils, radiant glass top or induction

theresa2
12 years ago

Trying to decide which way to go with a new electric range for my 91 y/o mother. Gas is not an option. The following is what I think is accurate based on my research. Let me know if what is said is true:

Induction - extremely fast temperature response. Super easy cleanup. Ability to place a silicone pad or paper towel under cookware to protect cooktop surface from spillovers and scratches. Safe cool touch. Cookware needs to be magnetic, but not necessarily expensive. Most expensive option of the three. Less heat escapes into the ambient environment. Automatically turns off after a short delay when not in use.

Radiant glass top - Slowest temperature response. Not especially easy to clean spill-overs. Requires specialized cleaning products and sometimes, even a razor blade? Must be kept tidy at all times to look decent. Most susceptible to cooktop surface damage. Mid-range cost.

Coil - tried and true technology and not much difference in performance of coils from one model to another. Most inexpensive option. Dated look. Harder to keep clean, but doesn't look as bad as radiant glass top if not kept perfectly tidy. More of a lower end product in terms of quality features.

Comments (17)