SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyg_gw

Cost per hour to run new 3 ton, 14 SEER , heat pump

garyg
16 years ago

I have been figuring the cost per hour to run my new 14 SEER Goodman heat pump based on the Rated Load Amps (RLA) on the condensing unit's data tag. I was using the 13.4 RLA because it was the only info that I had. I found out that Goodman has a "Technical Information Manual" that is not listed on their website but is available to pros. I contacted them and received a copy the other day. The manual lists technical info for heating and cooling based on a variety of outdoor and indoor conditions.

The only time in cooling mode that the condensing unit draws RLA is at conditions of 115 F outside air temperature.

On a 95 degree day, the unit draws between 10.5 and 12 amps depending on indoor temp and humidity. On an 85 degree day, between 9.7 and 11.2 amps.

If I use 11 amps as an average number, then the cost to run the new heat pump is:

(11 amps) x (220 volts) x ($.138/kw-hr) / 1000 = $.334 per hour = 33.4 cents/hour to run the system.

This includes the recent 65% increase in Maryland electric rates which are now 11.4 cents/kw-hr generation plus 2.4 cents/kw-hr transmission.

33 cents/hour to run the new unit is not bad.

Comments (21)