SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimmymoon_gw

condensation drain hole in slab overflowing!!

jimmymoon
16 years ago

I have an 40 year old Florida home that believe it or not, drains the ac condensation directly into a huge hole (cavity) cut out of the concrete slab directly below my ac air handler

unit inside the closet! The obvious mold and health issues aside, the hole has been filling up with condesation water and overflowing the past month or so, which it has never done before. Im pretty sure I dont have a secondary drain line because I only see the 1 pvc drain pipe. When it floods the hallway I have to take the air handler grating off and wet vac all the collected water from inside the hole in the slab. After 5-7 days, it fills right back up again flooding the hallway and I have to wet vac all the water out again. Looking into the hole and feeling around I'd say the entire holding area below the slab is about 2-3 ft in diameter and 1-2 ft deep. Can my ac unit be producing that much condensation to fill that cavity in 5-7 days or is the cavity so saturated it will not hold the condensation any more? Also, is this hole in the slab the way they did things back then or is it a cheap way to get rid of ac condensation? I was thinking of sealing up that hole and re-routing the pcv drain pipe through the closest outside wall to drain outside. This condensation "hole in th floor" beneath the air handler appeares to be a horrible and unhealthy set up!!!! Any ideas?

Comments (4)