SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
urotex

Texas a/c dilemma

urotex
15 years ago

I hate Home Warranties!! Anyways, after 3 months in our new home (which was built in '87) our main upstairs A/C unit is not cooling.(fortunately we live downstairs...no kids yet) (we have 3 units for a 4200 sq ft house.)

Warranty company sent out a guy who looked like he lived under a bridge. Got the usual song and dance that if this was a "maintenance" issue it wouldn't be covered... the guy shut off the unit to melt the ice on the condenser and hasn't been back. Attempts to contact him and his company have been fruitless. I called the warranty company, they are trying to contact him as well. Anyways, in the mean time, I called a reputable company for their opinion. They found a leak in the evaporator coil with an electronic detector. They say it needs replacement, but as long as they are there, the furnace (original equipment, i think, Trane model #THP075A942AO) can be replaced at a $600 savings and its pretty old. The outside condenser has been replaced in about 2003-2003 with a fridgidare SEER 10(Model FS3BA-042KA 3.5ton) The current coil was probably replaced at the same time as the fridgidare. It is Trane Model #TXHO41A4HPA2.

So here is my dilemma:

1. Do I just replace the coil and get the warranty company to pay for it (hoping that they send a better repair man)?

2. Or do I also replace the furnace and condenser at the same time to save future dollars by improving efficiency and doing it at the same time as the coil replacement?

3. Should I leave the furnace for another day?

4. Is the trane coil possibly still under warranty?

Here are the two system replacement options that the "reputable" repair guy gave me:

Both options include:

1yr labor, 10yr parts warranty (upgrade to 10yr labor for $400 more),city inspection, slab, whip, disconnect outside, 7 day honeywell programmable t-stat (not the IAQ), supply and return plenums, 5" filtration media cabinet, secondary drain pan/float switch, freon filter, sealing...

Option 1:

American Standard SEER 14, 3.5 Ton

Condenser:4A7A4042B100A

Coil: 4TXCBO42BC3HCA

Furnace: AUD080R9V4K

Total approx: $8500

Option 2:

Goodman SEER 14, 3.5 Ton

Condenser: SSX140421A

Coil: CAPF4860C6

Furnace: GMS80904BNB

Total approx $7500

If I just replace the evaporator coil:

AmStand: $3300, Goodman$2800

Hopefully that would work OK with the fridgidare compressor.

So, I'm not so concerned with the price as long as I'm not getting screwed. I don't want to replace things if I won't see much benefit, but we plan to be in this house for 10-20yrs.

Thanks for any input.

Comments (12)