SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostonpam_gw

Help with details on banquette

bostonpam
11 years ago

We're finally getting around to the banquette. It's an "L" 7.5' x 5' under east and south windows. We have a historic house (built between 1825 - 1840). I feel we're just caretakers here but need to do some changes for modern living. During demo we found 10" wide by 7/8" old painted floor planks from around 1840's that was covered up with a raised floor in 1914. I would like to use this wood to face the banquette.

Now the questions:

1. The planks appear to have 2 coats of paint (probably lead). I would like to use as is and just clean up and then seal (polyurethane?) them. Hopefully this will seal anything else on the planks (arsenic? or other bad chemicals from that time) The floor was in a probable servant's room. Does this sound like a good solution? Any other concerns? The table and banquette will normally be the "kids" table. We will have seat cushions and pillows for the back.

2. What direction should we lay the planks? On the seat we're going the long way (20" deep so just 2 planks). We're also thinking the same for the back which is just over 20" but we will have a cushion on the seat. Maybe mix it up and go up and down like bead board (but really wide) for the part under the bench (kick area). What do you think?

3. For the table top we are going to use this wood, its subfloor or other wood from the original servants' quarters. We would not use the painted side but stain the underside. For a kitchen table should we use waterlox or a poly for the finish? Again, this will be used mainly by young kids and take a lot of abuse.

We will have 4' morgue drawers under the seats. DH is framing with 2x4's and then plywood.

Here's some pictures. The banquette will go under the windows - 7.5' under the 2 windows. You can see the multipainted brick that we embraced as part of the history of the house.

this one shows the 2 different colors on the wood

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths