SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nster3

Geothermal vs HVAC, insulation - Montreal

nster3
9 years ago

Hey guys, sorry for the long post about to follow

TL;DR

Renovating, gutted the house. Best combo of insulation, distribution and heating / A/C for savings and comfort in the next 10-15years?

Currently renovating a 1956 split-level. Main floor is 1500 sq. ft. and livable basement area is 600-700 sq. ft. Everything is currently stripped out. There was no previous insulation and was running on an old oil system and was distributed with hot water radiators (6000$ for heating last year). The exterior of the house is a mix of brick and stone brick, in the interior there's a layer of plywood on all the exterior walls. Electricity cost in my area is ~0.09$USD/KWh all-in I think. We plan on staying here 10-15 years. We have ripped out all electrical and plumbing and will be starting from scratch

For insulation the plan is to shoot 3-3.5" closed-cell foam on all exterior walls (space is precious) and standard drywall. For the roof it would be 12" of cellulose and in the garage ceiling (under dining room/kitchen) will have 9-10" cellulose. Any point in shooting foam instead of cellulose?

For distribution system the plan is simply to install a duct system. I think it will be necessary for ventilation anyways and probably A/C, but is it worth it to put something else for heating? Hear lots of good things for radiation heating but that seems to come with a really high cost

For heating right now seemed to simply be an HVAC/electric system. Not sure what GreenSpeed is, is that something to consider?

So now we are considering geothermal, as we can afford it, assuming it benefits us in the long run. First off, does it bring the value of the house up? We had an evaluator come and he said a 2 ton system should be fine, though I was thinking 3, but perhaps 2 ton would save money and for the cold days the backup electrical system would take over, hence his 2 ton recommendation? We don't have much land (no backyard, only a roughly 50x20 , width goes up to 25-30 on the widest, so I'm guessing horizontal piping is properly out of the question? I believe our basement is fairly close to the water table, is that a good or bad thing for installing a geothermal loop?

Do you guys have have suggestions? We are trying to find the right balance of comfort and long-term savings. Heating/cooling costs for an electrical system is estimated around 1500-2000$/year versus what for geothermal? If you have any suggestions for companies in Montreal, please let me know!

Comments (10)