SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xman1964

Freezing of Condenser and compressor unit

xman1964
16 years ago

Gentlemen,

After searching through the Forum, I realize there may be several explanations to the problem I'm having. Both N-coil and Compressor unit freeze at night when my wife lowers the themostat 6 or 7 degrees for cooler sleeping temperatures. During the day, the AC tends to keep up with no freezing. Both of the lines between the condenser and Compressor eventually freeze as well.

I've checked the following: Blower motor appears to be in great shape. Runs well and shaft on cage to motor is tight, N-coil itself is clean ( I have always used a high efficiency filter and other than a light dusting, gets only cleaner with this now occuring freeze/thaw cycle). There appears no restriction downstream of the A/C blower, so I believe that I'm getting sufficient transfer of cooled air to the house.

As I previously mentioned, during the day time the system works as it should. Since I'm allowing the system to rest in the morning and let the temp rise, the A/C is only having to maintain a temp during the daytime,not actively trying to lower the temperature as at night. The thermostat turns on and off once reaching the set temp. The compressor unit turns on and off as it should and the blower motor turns on and off as it should during the daytime.

The system is only 5 years old and my suspicion is that I have lost some of the charge and as a result my system is running longer and harder than it should.

I've read a previous posting in July of this year posing either overcharging or undercharging. I have never had my system charged since its original installation. Any ideas?

Comments (3)