SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littledog_gw

Johnmari, anyone else use Comfortis for fleas?

littledog
14 years ago

Johnmari I'm asking you specifically because I figure you'll be up to date on the ins and outs, pros and cons of any new pet treatment, but really, I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the flea preventative chewable tablet called Comfortis.

We gave Buster the Fila and Lottie Dooty Dah, a Jack Russel/Dachshund cross each a dose last month with no side effects other than finding dead fleas on their bedding the first day, and virtually no fleas all month. (the only ones we did see were dead or dying) The house wasn't infested, it was just a matter of the dogs bringing them in after they'd been outside. The multiple sessions every day going over each dog with a flea comb required by my preferred method were not going to be practical once we have a house full of company over Thanksgiving.

We picked up their second dose yesterday, but ended up giving the smaller dog's tablet to a starving Brittany cross that had been hanging out around the local fast food taco place. (It only took an hour, two tortillas and half a burrito to get her close enough to catch) This morning, when I took up her blanket to wash it, I saw the the bedding was literally covered with dead and dying fleas. Very impressive. So much so, that I started reading more about spinosad, the active ingredient because I am amazed it works so fast, so well and for so long.

The product literature we got last month mentioned vomiting, excessive salivation, diarrhea as possible side effects, with seizures on the extreme end. (Note: we have seen none of those in any of the three dogs we've given it to so far) I'd also read about the potential for a reaction if given with large doses of Ivermectin when treating for mange. The official literature on spinosad is reassuring, but the personal anecdotes I've found from people whose dogs have had what they suspect are adverse reactions to it after a few doses are alarming. Most seem to be older dogs (10+) years, Shelties that are also on heartworm prevention, or very tiny dogs (under 10 pounds).

I'm thinking when I go back to the Vet's to pick up Lottie's dose I'll either ask for the lowest possible size tablet, or possibly only give her a half dose at a time. Any personal stories, reassurances or horror stories you'd care to share would be appreciated.

Comments (8)