SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756092

Energy Rater Suggests Re-wiring Boiler to be Automatic?

User
16 years ago

I just had an energy rating done on my home yesterday. We have an opportunity to make energy improvements during the next month and a half and let Alaska Housing Finance Corp (a state company who we have our loan through) review the improvements so we can get a permanent reduction in our mortgage interest rate.

The rater told me that instead of having my boiler 'hot' all the time, I could wire it so that it would only flame up when one of the zone valves opened. Now, my preference is to just extinguish the pilot and shut it down manually in May, then re-light it in October. If it only flamed up when a zone valve opened, wouldn't it expend MORE energy just trying to heat itself up again, making it more difficult to keep a consistent temperature in the house?

The summer has been cool this year, so there are times when the heat will run even in July. (Rainy days when it can't quite hit 60°F outside.)

I'm not convinced that re-wiring the boiler to only fire when one of the two zones are open is the most efficient idea.

Comments (11)