SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
badin_gw

15% more house, 55% - 118% higher elec. bill

badin
16 years ago

I don't know if it's possible to find an answer to our problem, but I'd appreciate your help in figuring it out.

Last winter, we moved to a house that is about 15% larger than our previous house. It's in the same metro area, so the climate hasn't changed and the power company is the same. The former house was one story on slab except for a bonus room over the garage, which had its own A/C system. Both the larger and smaller units were located in the attic. The current house is a 2-story over an unfinished basement with 3 systems; one serves the main level, one serves three bedrooms & 2 bathrooms up; and the third serves two small rooms above the kitchen plus a larger room over the garage. One unit is in the basement and the other two are in attics. The houses are about the same age, full brick with similar roof color, and double pane windows. Both houses have gas water heaters and furnaces. (Let me know if I left out anything pertinent.)

Previously, our college age children visited frequently. This summer, they've only been home for about a week, so we keep the system that cools their bedrooms set about 4 or 5 degrees higher than downstairs.

As summer progressed, I noticed that the small bonus rooms got pretty hot by midday. Dh installed some reflective barrier (looks sort of like XL heavy duty foil) in the south and west sides of the attics. We haven't noticed much difference.

The thermostat for the third system sits in a long narrow room with a sloped ceiling and no windows that connects the other two bonus rooms. It will often read the room temp as 85+ when a small thermometer a few feet away will read 78. As a result, the A/C will run almost constantly during the day. I've gotten in the habit of setting that thermostat above 80 during the day and turning it down to 77 if we use the room at night or early in the morning. (This is compared to 74 - 75 on the main floor.) I'd set it higher but I'm concerned about controlling humidity.

Our former house had very efficient, high SEER two-stage systems for both the main floor and the bonus room. This house has the typical single-stage builder's basic 13 SEER equipment. I never would have guessed it could make such a difference. Folks told us that our former house would be an energy hog because it was essentially one big level with lots of roof area. But our electric bills here this spring and summer have been at least half again as much and in one month it was 118% higher.

We could find ourselves moving again as soon as next summer (got that news just after we bought this house), or we could be here as long as four years. Since April, we've paid an additional $600 for electricity, most of which must be the A/C. By the end of the cooling season, we'll probably have paid at least $1K more compared to the previous two years. Let's gamble that we'll be here four more years and will pay that extra $1K per year if we don't change anything. Is there anything we could do for less than $4K that would reduce our cooling costs and make the house more comfortable? In reality, my dh may only want to spring for half that, on the assumption that we're just as likely to move early as to stay.

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (9)