SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

DD signing up for GED classes

moonie_57 (8 NC)
14 years ago

DD is 17, dropped out of high school year before last and made a half-hearted attempt in the Gateway to College program. When I say "half-hearted", I suppose it goes back to her fear of math. She did well in all the other classes but has never grasped math. The GC director assured DD that she would get the help she needed and would pass math. To be honest, I don't know if she made the necessary attempt or if she still has some kind of mental math block. She was diagnosed as bipolar 14 months ago, so I'm sure the problems from that affected her school performance. Anyway, at the end of the first semester, she did not go to take her exams, thus failing, and had no interest in going back. Now, a year has past and she wanted to again do the GC program. However, you have to be enrolled in high school then get transferred to GC. Our high school refused to enroll her again because the effect of the drop out rate on our district. DD did not believe that the school could keep her from enrolling, and now that she has realized she can't get back in the GC, she has decided to go for her GED.

I have worked with alot of teenaged girls DD's age and feel that she definitely is less mature than many of them. Perhaps this is just part of who she is or perhaps it stems from the bipolar disorder. I just feel like she can not get much accomplished towards her GED goals without having some sort of motivation from me.

But, the both of us have had some very rocky times and things are finally starting to get better. I don't think she hates me anymore, but she certainly keeps herself somewhat distant. I have had to make some very tough decisions over the last 1 1/2 years that deeply affected our relationship.

So my problem is how to motivate her, how to even mention doing studies at home or putting in enough hours on campus. I know she wants to get her GED but I'm not sure she has the maturity to be left to handle it on her own.

Any advice?

Comments (14)