SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuck3455

A/C quote / equipment

chuck3455
15 years ago

Appreciate any help with the following:

Today our A/C service rep indicated that our compressor was on its last legs. Basically it is severely overheating and shutting down, then restarting etc -- and being very inefficient ( electric bills in the $450 to $500 range during the summer months ). We are cooling about 2500 square ft currently with a 9 year old 14 seer Trane heat pump and 9 year old non variable speed air handler. The reason I say we are cooling approx 2500 sq ft is that we have a separate A/C unit that cools approx. 400 sq ft of sun room -- but that unit is sometimes turned up and in effect we are cooling the entire house at times with the Trane unit.....

We live on the Florida Gulf coast (waterfront with salt air ) and have high heat and humidity.

Our service reps advice is to replace the entire system ( not the unit on the sun room flat roof ) versus investing about 2 thousand into a new compressor with our older condenser.

Recommendation is for a Carrier 5 ton unit model # 25HNA660 and matched variable air handler model # FE4ANB006, replace all line sets, some minor duct work repairs ( believe about 10 feet ) etc. Also includes infinity control thermostat ( Infinity T-Stat)

10 year warranty on compressor, 10 year on parts, and 10 years on the condenser coil.

Quote is for $9800.

Originally the rep had verbally quoted the following:

Trane 13 Seer, 9,400

Trane 15 Seer, 10,500

Trane 19 Seer, 12,200

Carrier 14 Seer 8,600

Carrier 16 Seer 9,000

Carrier 19 Seer 9,800

He indicated the Carrier line was cheaper as his company does a majority of their volume with Carrier and therefore have lower costs of purchase.

When I got the written quote it appears that the model quoted is 16 Seer and the air handler states that it produces up to 2 points of Seer. Also on the quote it states that Seer rating is in a range of 17 to 19.

Would love to have any comments you have on the above.

Is the quote reasonable?

Did I get somewhat bait and switched by saying the 16 Seer Carrier was 19 Seer?

Do I need to replace everything or go with a new compressor? Service rep noted that the Trane 1400 is usually only good for about 10 years.

Should I opt for Carrier model #24ANA7 which has 17 Seer and runs at low speed 80% of the time?

Anything else to consider?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Comments (2)