SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Surprise Christmas Party - Ideas?

ttodd
14 years ago

Every year for at least the last 40yrs or however old DH is, my MIL has hosted a Tree Decorating Party. She lives for this event. The only year that she didn't have it was the year my FIL suffered a heart attack. My MIL is extremely sentimental and her friends and family are the dearest things in the world to her.

On Friday when I asked her when the party was she smiled and said 'Oh, we're not having it this year.' I inquired as to why and she started to tear up and said that they just didn't have enough money to do it this year.

Although my FIL has work to do (he's an architect) he hasn't been paid for 2 months. For quite a few yrs. the money was roling in for them and they wisely saved but spent a lot of money on us kids when any of us were in a financial bind or simply needed help. Help w/ downpayments for houses, reliable cars - you name it. I told her that she could still have it and everyone could bring something. She said that's what she always does but this year they wouldn't be able to afford drinks for anyone or any of the other things that she does.

I immediately went home and called DH and told him the situation and that we couldn't let that happen. We started calling around and of course everyone is pitching in because my in-laws are just so wonderful to everyone. Family friends who have a Christmas Tree farm are donating their usual 15' tree that my in-laws always get from them.

I figure - how hard can it be to pull together the basics?!

What I'm looking for are any thoughts or ideas from you creative people (I talk to her about you all you know!) on how to take it to the next level for her.

Thanks!

Comments (9)