SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zirconx

Need help on filter sizes - installer wants to use 2" filter?

zirconx
10 years ago

I'm having a new Trane furnace & AC installed soon. My installer is pushing the electronic filter from Trane but I'm not ready to make that leap. I'm interested in using 4" filters. He said I wouldn't want that (he called it a media filter), he said it's a pretty expensive option and the filters are expensive. He says if I don't get the electronic filter (Clean Effects) I'll get a 2" filter.

I went to Lowes tonight, and they don't have any 2" filters at all. So what is this guy talking about? Also why would it be an expensive option? Is there any reason they can't just make the opening 4" instead of 1 or 2 inches? His bid already includes moving the drop (not sure why, might be a code thing) so is it much more difficult to move it an additional 2 inches to make room for a 4" filter?

I looked at the 4" filters at Lowes, they are cheap. Would be much cheaper than running 1 or 2 inch filters since they aren't changed as often. The 4" filters do say that they are designed to fit Aprilaire/Honeywell/etc units. So I guess they are made to go inside something. But I don't see why I couldn't just have a 4" slot instead of a 1-2 slot and use these.

Thanks for your input. I'm attaching a photo if that helps. My current filter size is 16x25x1.

Comments (9)