SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Breaking news, Are you KIDDING?

azzalea
12 years ago

The local TV channel I watch in the afternoon just broke into programming with their big, 'Breaking NEWS' banner.

Used to be, they'd announce 'breaking news' almost daily--things like traffic accidents, and other relatively minor events. But after 9-11, the local stations seemed to get away from that for the most part.

So, of course, I immediately thought there was something really serious happenning.

What was so important? A news conference with Jeffrey Lurie. He rambled on--wasn't even using complete sentences--for about 20 minutes. I THINK the point of the conference (although it was hard to follow and I was doing other things anyway) was that he wasn't going to fire the Eagles' coach. Huh? So that's earth-shattering news? that deserves breaking into the regular schedule?

Note: I'm apparently not the only one in the area who doesn't think it deserved that kind of attention. Fox was the ONLY local channel that was covering the news conference in real time--none of the other half-dozen or so channels disrupted their regular programming for it.

So, what, in your opinion, justifies a 'breaking news' story? To me, that should be reserved for something of an immediate and dangerous nature--like an escaped criminal, or a massive multi-car accident on a much-used highway, or a terrorist attack. Or an Amber Alert. Something that for their protection, the public does need to be informed in the quickest method possible.

Comments (3)