SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

How long would you wait?

graywings123
13 years ago

How long would you wait to receive pickup instructions and a tracking number from a company before deciding that they don't want their item back?

I bought an item through a website, but after looking at it, asked to return it because of a flaw. The company that sold it to me is a flow-through type place that fronts for many manufacturers. The manufacturer wanted a 25 percent restocking fee and for me to pay to ship it back. I held firm on paying neither on the basis that the item was flawed and could not be used as advertised. They wanted me to drill holes in the plastic backing to mount the item, which their Chinese factory apparently forgot to do. I argued that if I did that, the plastic might crack and besides, even if it didn't crack, then it wouldn't be waterproof as advertised.

The flow-through company apparently agreed with me, credited my credit card, and told me to package the item up and wait for instructions on sending it back. It's been a couple months now and I'm wondering when I can safely assume that no one on the other end wants the item. (And yes, I know I could recontact them, but the current situation favors me. I could try to drill the holes with no financial risk.)

Comments (4)