SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parma42

Carnivores-Cryovac packed meats-Yuck!

parma42
14 years ago

With the economy the way it's been, I've been even more vigilant in searching out food sales. Love to cook (and eat), and prepare a lot of meals that many people don't like.

I found a killer sale on Lamb shanks. They were $2.99 a lb. instead of the $5.99+ I usually find. Stocked way up and froze a bunch. When I went to cook them and opened the packages up, this putrid odor was released into the air. It was just yucky!

I browned them and then braised for just under two hours. I could still smell the odor and could taste it in the final product.

The meat was not bad and we love the gamier taste of lamb. It was from the cryovac.

I did some research and found that this is a common occurance. Has to do with oxygen depletion (or some other cr*p, was really boring reading so started to zzzz). You're supposed to let the meat air out for a half an hour. Some suggested washing it. I've noticed this smell with vacuum packed spareribs, too.

I now have a freezer full of them.

Has anyone else had this experience or do I just have an extra sensitive sniff & taste?

Comments (3)