SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Boureki, borek, deep fried meat pies,

Lars
12 years ago

Last week-end I bought a deep fryer, and yesterday I used it for the first time to make dinner, although I'm not exactly sure that I made (photo on gallery side). Sunday we went to our neighborhood vegetable/fruit market to buy some vegetable for making egg rolls, and I also bought some wrappers. They weren't egg roll wrappers, however, but puff pastry about 5" square. I also bought some phyllo dough. The market has a lot of Middle Eastern foods, such as lavash, pita, fava beans, etc.

I decided to use the phyllo dough for the rolls since I did not want to spend the time making egg roll dough (and I only had one egg). The sheets were very thick, and so I rolled them out, to make larger rolls, and I filled them with leftover Greek meat balls and a vegetable mixture that included Napa cabbage, bean sprouts, Serrano peppers, ginger, fresh basil, mushrooms, and potato starch (to absorb some of the liquid from the vegetables. The Greek meatballs had been made using Ann_T's recipe that includes spinach and mint. With all of these ingredient, I expected the rolls to have a strong flavor, but the main thing I could taste/identify was the cabbage, and I used only two leaves of that. After I cooked the second batch, I decided that they needed mustard with them. Kevin said with mustard they reminded him of corndogs - I don't know where that came from - but they did taste more like Chinese egg rolls with the mustard. I think what I made could be called Greek Boureki or Lebanese/Turkish borek, and I may check recipes for those for next time.

I'm very happy with the deep fryer I bought, although I forgot the name of it. It has a lid, which keeps everything very neat, and a wire basket for easy removal, although I did not use the basket for lowering the rolls.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)