SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eparisoli

Bertazzoni? Advantium? yes or no?

eparisoli
16 years ago

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but certainly know where to turn for practical advice. We're about to start a remodel/renovation for the kitchen and I am leaning toward a Bertazzoni rangetop or full 36" range? Anyone have any insight - like em? hate em?

Also, ayone out there have a GE Advantium microwave? What are your thoughts? I like the speed for last minute items, but I'm concerned that things will come out tasting like they've been miked - I'm not one for soggy pizza!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Comments (22)

• peggross1
    16 years ago

Happy New Year, and welcome to GW!

If you go to the Appliances Forum and do a search (scroll to the bottom of the main page in Appliances) within that forum for the word Advantium, you will find way too much to read about.

Based on reading those threads and asking a few questions of my own, I have ordered a 120 Advantium wall oven (not over the range), and it will be installed January 17th. We won't move into our house until April, so I won't be able to comment on how beautfully I'm expecting it to cook until after then.

I do have a neighbor who has had an Advantium OTR for over 2 years, which she really likes and says she definitely would buy again.

Never heard fo the Bertazzoni. Do a search for that in the Appliances forum as well, and you may have some luck finding existing threads.

If you still need more help or want to have your own thread, I suggest starting it in the Appliances Forum. The Kitchens Forum is more for countertop, cabinets, layout, pictures of finished kitchens (lucky dogs!), etc.

Good luck with your renovation!

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

I have a 36-in Bertazzoni and I love it. It's a wonderful cooking machine, at least for my needs, is well priced, and is beautiful. Mine is painted white (though I wish I had been brave enough for red):

BTW - On the appliances forum, you will read numerous posts by one Berta user of her impatience with igniting the oven. It's not difficult to light and takes mere seconds. Please don't let that deter you.

• Related Discussions

To Advantium or not to Advantium.....

Q

Comments (96)
    Yes, the Microwave and Speed Cook settings use microwaves but the convection cook setting just uses circulating hot air. In theory, you could also create a speed setting that only uses the halogen and convection, but not the microwaves, though you'd have to trial and error it to see if it's worth it. It might just get the outside done way too fast and leave the inside raw. Microwaves don't actually do anything to the food that's unhealthy unless you let it get overcooked--they just speed up the molecules--but to each his own. Just make sure that they don't revile a machine that has the potential to create microwaves before you buy. But if you just mean you want to be able to convection cook (hot air) only to avoid an argument, yes, there's no need to tell them that it's also a microwave.
    ...See More

new Bertazzoni and Broan: photos

Q

Comments (1)
    That looks LOVELY! The hood coordinates really well with the range and I actually think the back patch looks fine. Well done and enjoy your new stove!
    ...See More

Question about Bertazzoni Range re: baking

Q

Comments (7)
    I am seriously loling at what my kind of car poor Caloric is. The stovetop still works, though I have to finesse things to get 1/2 of the burners to ignite. IMO, it used to be a...oh, Toyota Corolla...but now it's a Chevette (I had TWO of those, so I know what I speak of). I CAN afford a Wolf, but is the oven really that much better? (And if I don't buy a Wolf, I have that much more to spend on an Advantium or the granite I like, etc.) I'm not concerned with oven size...I can buy smaller baking sheets, and I rarely cook for more than 5 or 6 (and that's on holidays...we're a family of 4). If the oven on the Berta is good and won't burn my bread on top while underbaking it in the middle, that's good enough for me. Thanks for the replies, everyone.
    ...See More

Kitchenaid Architect Convection MW versus Advantium 240

Q

Comments (0)
    Would greatly appreciate guidance sorting out the differences between the KA Architect Convection MW and the Advantium 240. Here's what I "think" I know -- the Advantium uses 3 halogen lamps plus MW, no fan, and is very versatile and fast. The KA uses MW, a heating element and a fan. Can be used as a MW or as an oven. Not as fast but still versatile. Do they have similar space inside? Do they both have racks as well as trays? Similar heat and noise? Install either under-counter? (Profile --yes, Monogram --no, KA ????) I was leaning toward Advantium but now am thinking KA -- am more interested in the versatility, price, looks, installation flexibility. Speed is less of an issue. Just want a single box that can be installed in an island and replace both the MW and the toaster oven.
    ...See More
  • sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Soonermagic -- do you mind if I pick your brain about the Bertazzoni? I am debating between this and an Aga Legacy and just can't decide. I like the Aga's warming cabinet, but the tiny oven has me a wee bit concerned, and I would love to have one gas oven. (I plan on getting a separate u/c electric oven for baking.)

I was concerned about difficulty in getting the burners to ignite. The store I visited didn't have the Berta hooked up, just a display, so I couldn't tell how well they work on low flame/simmer. I previously had a Bosch cooktop that had continuous burners so the flame would reignite automatically if it got too low. How do the Berta burners work?

Does the exterior of the oven get hot to the touch? I have two little ones, and I've read a lot about the All Gas ovens getting too hot when the oven and the cooktop are both on.

How long does it take for your Berta oven to heat up? Is the temperature consistent? What's the broiler like? Do you find the burners offer enough BTUs (we're not chefs, but we do like to broil and stir fry quite a bit)? Is the high heat burner the only simmer burner as well? What do you think of the burner layout?

Sorry for so many questions. I've had a hard time finding answers on the appliance forum, which seems to have been dominated by one unhappy customer.

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

Happy to answer your questions.

1. I have had no difficulty in igniting the burners. Push in and turn the knob, watch for flame, count to 8 and it's lit. I don't believe there is an "auto reignite" feature, but I've never had a flame go out. If this doesn't answer your question, let me know because I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

2. The exterior of the oven, remarkably, does not get hot. The trim piece at the top and back of the stove (the part in the pic above that is above counter height) gets really hot when the oven is on, but not the oven door or any other part on the front that a child could reach.

3. I've never timed how long it takes the oven to heat up, but I've never thought, "wow, this is taking so long." I bought a thermometer that hangs from one of the interior racks so that I could guage the temperature. My oven seems about 3 degrees off (low), but I didn't find that significant enough to render a service call.

3. The oven baked batches and batches of Christmas cookies perfectly, so I think that attests to even baking with consistent temps.

4. I have used the broiler only once, to brown an artichoke dip and it browned beautifully. But, that's the only broiler experience to date.

5. The burners offer enough BTUs for us. I've seared filets twice now on the high heat, but haven't stir fried yet (which reminds me that DH has been begging for a stir fry, so I need to get on top of that!). I actually find that the burners are a lot hotter than what I've had in the past and have burned more than my fair share of garlic when I thought the EVOO was heated on a medium heat and turned out to be very hot. I attribute that more to my inexperience than to any flaw with the burners.

6. The front right burner is also a small burner that I've used as a simmer burner. I used it successfully to do rice at a simmer, but I burnt the cranberry sauce on Turkey Day when I tried to slowly reheat the sause using that burner on what I thought was a simmer. So, I'm having mixed luck with that burner.

7. I have no problems with the burner layout. I have the five burner configuration. It makes sense to me that the high heat is the middle burner. The other large burners are on the back of the stove, which also makes sense to me to use the bigger pans at the back of the stove and the smaller ones up front.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Thanks! One more question: in the appliance forum, a big deal is made out of having to open the oven to light it. Does the oven have to stay open to warm up? What all is involved in turning on the oven?

• kirstysea
    16 years ago

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to soonermagic for your thoughts & observations on the Berta-- we will be installing the 36" 5 burner soon (it's in the garage right now) and it's good to hear there are happy users out there!

• jab913
    16 years ago

I can't comment on the Bertazzoni. I can talk about the Advantium though. In early December I installed a 120 wall unit and absolutely love it. Have not used it to its full potential but for what I have done it is great. Food comes out tasting quite good and and no soggy pizza. The reheat setting has turned out to be one of the benefits I really like that I did not initially concern myself with. Pop a plate of food in and the oven sensor takes over and it is heated almost perfectly. The warming feature is also a great benefit. Keeps foods warm without drying them out.

• hollylh
    16 years ago

I too would love to hear more about the Advantium--I am reading over on the appliance forum too but I feel Kitchens is a little less techy. I am glad to hear you like the 120, jab913--I am not sure I need the 240 as I want it for a microwave almost as much as a second oven and am not quite sure I actually NEED to roast a chicken in ten minutes, or whatever it does...

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

eparisoli - I am the poster than soonermagic so politely described as being impatient with the Bertazzoni and the ingition of the oven. Indeed, my oven took 15 - 18 seconds on each cold start and 10-12 seconds if it was already warm. This is while the door was open. This is documented and on file with the service company and was deemed normal operation for the range. Once the oven is lit, you can close the door. You don't need to keep it open after it lights.

We did not have a problem with the outside of the range getting hot. Matter of fact, the cooling fan runs anytime the oven is on to keep it from getting hot. The front right burner (30" range) performed well, and was the one I used most often.

We had some fluctation in the oven temp that service was able to address. We had service out on the range two times. The service company was great to deal with. The oven is was a bit small and I had a few pans that would not fit or would only fit in a certain way.

The SS top was great to clean.

I post not to deter anyone, for I can't make a choice for anyone but myself, but simply to inform of the experience that I had with the range. I have posted honestly and objectively always. As I have done others, I would urge you to see the range live and see how it works. It isn't like any range you may have used before. If that is not possible, at least look over the owner's manual. It describes the ignition procedure in detail for both the oven and the burners. I have a copy I would be glad to forward via email. Just drop me an email on my page.

I was the only one of 4 people that could even light the range. My husband, mother, aunt and son would not use it. They have cooked on traditional gas ranges and the process is competely different. (My mom & aunt cook sometimes for the kids when they are babysitting. My son -15- is a beginning cook)

I was not "impatient with ignition of the oven". I was simply not willing to live with the function of the oven. The family that has the range now had no experience using a gas range and found that the process was fine with them.

Best of luck with your choice, it can be mind boggling!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Holly, I have ordered the 120v Advantium because I need a second oven and have only 27". It should replace my current microwave, give me convection, and the supposed speedcook. I don't need a chicken in 10 minutes - and I don't think the speedcook function on this one is nearly as speedy as on the 240v. 20 min is fast enough for me - LOL. I just wish they would start my kitchen already.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

plumorchard, What did you wind up replacing your Berta with? I have three ranges in mind, but the berta was the only all gas that I thought would work well in my retro house (I liked their heritage style). Right now, other than the Berta, I am toying with either the Aga Legacy (tiny ovens, but soooo cute, and might not be a big deal with a separate large capacity oven) or the Heartland Legend (big 36" oven, but a total unknown in my area).

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

sarschlos - Initially we replaced it with the 30" all gas Wolf, which turned out to be defective and was repurchased by Wolf. (I swear I don't make these things up!) We have the 30" American range - priced right in line with the Bertazzoni. (Love it! - It also has a SS top and sealed burners like the Bert) And, you can get it in colors too. It also has a huge oven - the pans fit great. The burner performance is outstanding. There are individual knobs that show which burner is on. The fan only runs if you turn it on. I have posted pix on the American thread on the appliance side if you are interested.

We did look briefly at the Legend (love the look!) but being dual fuel meant new electrical for us. We needed to stay with all gas.

Is the Legacy the one that comes in the antique white? Very retro looking.

Wonder if the Heritage works the same way? Could you request a manual to see? Or, wonder if one is on the web site to download?

• judithn
    16 years ago

I have the Berta 36" gas range 6 burners. I'm pretty happy with it. I like the burner set up a lot. The oven lighting thing is a tiny pain. I have learned to leave the door open, watch to see that the burner inside the lower part of the range (there's a peep hole) is lit, and then, after closing it, check again to make sure it's still lit because a couple times I must have closed it too soon and there wasn't any heat. I also have a thermometer in the oven to check temperature for baking. My oven thermometer shows total consistency between the dial on the stove and the heat level in the oven. I know this was not a totally cheap stove but it was a lot less $$$ then the other 6 burners on the market (mine was purchased Oct. 2006) and considering the cost, the cooking power, and the looks (it's gorgeous!), I'm satisfied. Do I wish the oven was totally automatic? Well, yeah. But once it is on and gets going it does the job and I'm pleased with the overall performance.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Thanks, plumorchard. From what I have read, the heritage has the same guts as the regular Berta, only with a vintage exerior. The Heartland Legend is pretty, but since it's DF, and pricey, if I go the DF route, I'll probably go with the Aga Legacy, which is less $$ and a bit more true to the time period I'm trying to evoke. The Aga is the one that comes in "vintage white" with a white enamel top and a pretty toe kick. It looks very much like an old O'Keefe, only with new bells and whistles.

I've read that the American gets very hot when the oven and burners are going. True?

Since I'm redoing an original kitchen that doesn't even have plumbing for the refrigerator, and I'm totally out of code for electrical anyway, we need to rewire and change plumbing no matter what, so my only issues are (1) performance, (2) price (had a love affair with the LaCanche for a bit, but I'm back to reality now), and (3) vintage look. I do like the idea of a gas oven for roasts/meat/etc., but I also love that the Aga includes a separate broiler, oven and warming oven so that I can have rice steaming on the cooktop, veggies in the broiler, chicken in the oven, and bread in the warmer. OTOH, made some really moist and delicious lamb chops in our junky gas wall oven the other night that have made me think I really should have one gas oven and one electric.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

judithn - hi! Hope you are doing well!

sarschlos - Love that AGA you are looking at. Pretty!

The American does not get hot that I've noticed. Just finished baking some pork chops and using two of the burners for dinner a few minutes ago. The door is warm to the touch now and a bit warmer towards the top of the door. It does have vent holes in the door. But the thing that looks like a drip tray is a heat deflector to keep the knob area from getting hot. The knobs have not been hot at all. I'll put a pix below for reference. It does get hot at the island vent area but all ranges do and little ones can't access that area. I will check it again next time I am cooking and see if it is any different.

Funny you mention the Lacanche...I had that love affair too. Still drool over it but reality slapped me around a bit as well.

One neat thing to consider if you do go with the gas range and electric oven - American is introducing a french door oven that you could get in electric and if you did colors - you could get them to match. Might be a consideration anyway. If I had room.....oh well!

It is great that you have space to work with...we were limited to 30" no matter what and that narrowed some things down. Guess that was really a good thing.

Here's the door. You can see our range at the link below - and other photos as well. I don't know what you would call my style - Maybe you could say it is "wanna be" vintage-y?? But it makes me smile!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• hollylh
    16 years ago

for the Advantium input. I currently have 2 ovens and a regular old MW and am thinking about replacing with an Advantium, one oven and a warming drawer...not sure if I would regret losing the second oven and the simpler micro. well, when I'm ready I guess I will start a separate thread. Anyway thanks!

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

I have the Advantium 240. You have to make sure you have 240 power before you go buying it or you could be very surprised at how expensive it could be to run.

Nothing's soggy...you'll love it. I wouldn't use it to replace any oven. It's great for quick fix, smaller meals, imho.

• kteach
    16 years ago

I finished our kitchen last April, so we've now had an advantium for 8 months. I love it when it's working, but it is currently broken for the third time. I am hoping that when they come to repair it, they will just install a new one, but we'll see. I don't know if this is just my unit or it is advantiums in general, but it is pretty frustrating to have to keep taking off work to wait for repairmen! Just one person's experience fwiw.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Oh, no! Plumorchard, just when I thought had made at least one decision, you show me a matching french door wall oven!

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

sarschlos - Sorry! :) At least you have room for it! I've been looking for something creative - like extending the kitchen in to the garage!! Ha - I'll post a link to the current American thread so I don't hijack the Bertazzoni-Advantium thread. Come on over - (The Appliance side would have info on the advantium too!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Current American Thread

• artemiss
    16 years ago

I've had an Adv 240 for two years now and use it every day. I am an enthusiastic and adventurous cook of many years experience and I wouldn't want to have a kitchen without a 240 in it again.

It's not that it cooks a chicken so fast (more than 10 minutes though, lol!) but that it eliminates many steps you would have to take with other methods of cooking for the same dish. For instance, I throw a cut-up whole chicken plus all the other ingredients for chicken cacciatore in a casserole at once, (well, not the pasta!) put on the lid, set the 3 Adv controls, press start and have a finished dish in about 30 minutes. I do stir it a couple of times but that's the sum total of my effort. It's tender, and browned and delicious, just as if I took two and a half hours to saute it stove top and then braise it in a conventional oven, the way I always used to do. It can cook filet mignon and paninis with equal ease. This morning I made a frittata and didn't have to flip it to brown the top.

It does microwave and reheat as a separate function, which is no more difficult to use than a plain mic of any brand. On the negative side, the vent fan is noisier than I would like. Another big negative is the price. My dh nearly passed out when I insisted on this model.

Can you get a look at a 240 cookbook somewhere (maybe there are some excerpts on the Adv website)? That will give you the best idea of how it works and what a time and effort saver it is.

If you have any more ?s for me, I'll be glad to try to answer. I don't have any info about the Bertazonni, but it's gorgeous!

• kteach
    16 years ago

Just an update. I am home today, yet again, waiting for a repairman for the Advantium. I spoke with "customer service" a little while ago and was very frustrated with a rude and unhelpful representative. (I am a very polite, albeit frustrated customer, and she hung up on me!). So, although I really like the Advantium, these frustrations have made me very hesitant to buy anything else from GE. BTW- all I am asking for is some assurance that if this same problem continues past the warranty date, I won't be out of pocket paying for the repairs- for the original problem. Pretty reasonable, I thought.
    Anyway, just one person's unpleasant experience!