SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susytwo

Consistency of sourdough starter/sponge

susytwo
12 years ago

I've made 3 loaves with my brand new, week-old sourdough starter and am wondering if it's perhaps too thick?

I've made 2 sourdough ryes, and just made a whole wheat last night, and I'm wondering if the starter needs more moisture.

I make the sponge the night before and find that it's very tight once all the flour is incorporated. In the morning, the sponge is nice and fluffy, but not moist. Does this sound right? I'll post the recipe below to give an idea of what I'm following.

I already have been reducing the amount of flour called for, by quite a bit. The dough feels right to the touch, it's still a tiny bit sticky, but when the loaf is on its second rise, it starts to split. It's also not rising as much as I'd like, even though I've added additional yeast (2.5 tsp/ 1.5 lb loaf)

Aside from reducing the flour, the only deviation from the recipes has been to add a pinch of ascorbic acid and a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten.

Should the starter be a little runny, or like a very thick pancake batter? What about the sponge?

Sourdough Rye

Sponge:

1/2 cup starter

6 TB water

1 cup rye flour

Bread:

Add to the sponge...

6 TB water

3 TB molasses

1.5 TB cocoa

1.5 tsp salt

2 cups flour