SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Curtains for screen porch

10 years ago

Anyone have curtains in a porch? Ours has storm windows but is unheated, so at the moment we mostly "use" the porch to walk through to let the dogs out. We used it a lot in the summer and early fall, though (it was just finished in June).

The issue is that our houses are very close together, and our neighbor's driveway is probably 12' feet from the side of our porch. So there's a bit of fishbowl effect. We are friendly with the neighbors and even socialize at times, but I don't want to feel compelled to say hello and/or chat every time they come and go, and I'm sure they don't either. But when you're sitting 12' away from someone, you kinda feel like you need to look up and say hi or wave. Anyway... I would like to do something w/ a curtain on that wall, but I don't know how to approach it both physically/aesthetically and socially. I don't want my neighbor to be offended that I've suddenly hung up this curtain, so I want to say something ahead of time but am not sure how to phrase it. She is easily annoyed so I need to be careful.

And then the bigger question is how to hang a curtain and not make it look stupid. Would love to see pics and/or tips on how to handle a curtain rod, and what type of curtains to use. Maybe just sheers, but are there "outdoor" versions of sheer fabric curtains? I don't want to darken the room so even though I think woven wood shades look cool in a porch, I don't think that's my answer.

This is the wall in question. I'll post another pic of the other windowed wall, which is trickier because there is a door, and also, the privacy issue doesn't apply there but I think it would look weird to have a curtain on just one wall -- agree?

And finally, where would I even find a curtain rod that would be suitable for outdoor conditions?

There is a fence there, as you can see, but because their driveway is uphill from our yard, we can all see each other just fine over the fence.

Another thought as I'm looking at the pic, though -- maybe I could do woven wood blinds and just leave them closed halfway on those 3 windows? That would darken the room a BIT, but not overly so.

Comments (12)