SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ct_joe

Need Advice on AC system quote in CT

ct_joe
15 years ago

I'm looking to install a new central AC system in New Haven, CT, (just the AC system, not the furnace) to replace a 30-year old Carrier system that finally died. I have a company quoting me $6,760 (including various discounts but before electric company rebates) on a 1.5-ton Amana ASX14 split system with an AEPF variable speed air handler. (The contractor is also "throwing in" a $330 media filter and 1-year service contract for free.) I would love to hear what people think about the price.

FYI, cooling area for our small two-story brick house has been measured by four different contractors to be between 960 and 1050 square feet and required BTUs in the range of 18,000-21,000. I've spoken with contractors in other states (NY and OH) who have told me that the prices I'm getting from CT area contractors are outrageous...double what they should be (according to them). I've received quotes on similar systems (both economy and mid-level models in the 13-15 SEER range, all Puron models) for Carrier, Trane, Bryant, Lennox, and Goodman from contractors who are highly recommended by their respective manufacturers. All of the systems come in between $6,600 (for the low end Goodman) to $11,000 (for a Carrier Infinity). These prices include compressor, air handler, materials, new electrical disconnect, new copper lineset (the current one is 35 years old), removal of old equipment, basic digital thermostat, and new pad for outside unit. We have existing ductwork already and do not need to replace or add anything in that respect (2 ceiling registers on the 1st floor and 4 on the 2nd floor.)

Amana seems to have the best efficiency and warranty for the buck, but I wonder if a) the quotes are really outrageous and b) if I have any true recourse in Connecticut to get lower prices. Additionally, the Amana system has a certified performance rating of 15 SEER and 12.5 EER, which gives me a $1000 rebate from the electric company. Curious what others might think about these quotes and if there is any advice for me.

Thanks very much!

Comments (2)