SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Gifts for the "elderly"

Sueb20
9 years ago

Well, my dad isn't elderly, really. He's almost 80, going on 55. Still working, exercising every day, volunteering several nights a week, and recently broke up with a GF who was 20+ years younger than he is. (He has outlived two wives.) I know this topic has come up before but seems like it's usually about older women. I am stumped about what to get him for Christmas. When I ask him, he says he doesn't need anything. Not helpful!

In the past, we have given him grocery store gift cards, AmEx gift cards, Harry & David fruit of the month, a Kindle (which he doesn't use), an iPod and dock (which he does use), clothes, and gourmet food items. We have also donated to Meals on Wheels on his behalf (he doesn't receive the meals; he runs the program for his area!). So I'm looking for some fresh ideas. He lives alone, doesn't go out to dinner unless he's dating (and recenty broke up with his GF), has plenty of clothes. He is getting to be hard of hearing but won't admit it, so although I'd like to get him hearing aids, that's not happening!

I am thinking of making up a basket with both necessities (a few books of stamps) and fun stuff (red wine, nuts, baked goods). What else could I put in the basket that would make sense? Maybe a couple grocery store gift cards. Oh, maybe some scratch tickets?

Other ideas?

And, on a related topic, he turns 80 in February. Any ideas for that? We live in different states and I don't know his social group, really, so a party isn't going to work. If anyone has done something great for a dad's significant birthday, I'd love to hear about it.

Comments (59)