SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Gifts from the Garden

15 years ago

Osgw380 has brought up the subject of home grown, home made gifts. What are some of the things that others have produced and given as gifts? Here's our tradition.

My wife's grandparents were in their teens (and married) during the depression. They knew hunger and cold first hand. In their later years they did very well, never lacking anything. It was their custom, though, to "make garden" diligently, every year, and stock the larder (and I mean STOCK the larder!). Seems they were always thinking that hard times could return, and they wanted to be ready.

Their sons moved away and raised their own families, returning pretty much annually, to visit. Grandma & Grandpa always had a good sized box of sweet potatoes and a couple boxes of canned goods for each son's family. This continued until Grandma passed away. Grandpa kept gardening for about 6 more years, even when he couldn't bend over or walk very well. Being a carpenter, by trade, he devised a whole set of canes, each with a different tool on the end. So, for about five years longer than he could otherwise have mananged Grandpa planted, cultivated and picked from his garden. He even pruned one or two dwarf fruit trees... with his canes!

Anyway, the tradition continued for a number of decades. Jerrreth, my wife, was their oldest grand daughter. We too visited them, usually around Thanksgiving. We too received sweet potatoes and canned goods. Boy did we appreciate them!

Now Grandma & Grandpa have both passed on. Our children are all adults. And... we find ourselves loading them up with sweet potatoes and canned goods! We even grow some of the same sweet potatoes and beans, descended from the same ones they used to grow.

One cannot put a price tag on home grown produce, and even less so on the canned/preserved goods. The work, the time and the care put into them make them, in many respects, priceless.

So, anyone else have a tradition to share?

George

Tahlequah, OK

Comments (4)