SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acdecision

Help with Trane AC proposal

ACdecision
10 years ago

Thanks in advance for the help.
My house is located in Dallas Texas. It is a 2 story with living space total of 2916 sqft. The floor plan/map is attached above. It has 2 rooms( living room and entrance) with high ceilings. The plan of the house is very open with air being shared between the first and second floors(see the map attached).Currently I have Lennox builders 13 SEER 2004 model systems, 4 ton for first floor and 2 ton for the second floor. I have decent attic insulation 13 inch of fibreglass and I plan to add more inches of cellulose on top. I have installed radiant barrier foil under the rafters and plan to seal most of the holes in the attic floor with foam. I will seal only the big holes and not the whole floor(DIY proect). I also have installed solar screens on all windows. The AC that need replacement is the one on the second floor(2 ton) and I have gotten some quotes. With the current system, when it was working I am not sure whether it was adequate or not so it like I am starting from scratch with load calculations. I have had some contractors come and gave quotes, some did load calculations and others did not(almost fly by night contractors). Those who have done load calculations say I am currently undersized so I need a 3 ton. Here are some quotations:

1. TRANE XR 17
Condenser: 4TTR7036A1000A
Coil : 4TXCC005CC3HCB
Furnace : TUD2C080A9V4VB
This also includes supply and return plenum, drain pan,float switch, gas flex, gas stop,mastic seal, Rex Rack 4 inch(filter size 20x20x4), filter drier,disconnect box,N/S dumpers, grills, T-Stat Focus, 9 supply registers.

warranty: heat exchanger-lifetime
10/10/10 on compressor/parts/labor and 1 year maintenance agreement.
This guy measured every room ,he spent 2 hours at my house working on this and answering questions.

Total Price: 6500 cash price after some discounts and tax credit

2. TRANE XR 16 3 ton( SAME GUY AS ABOVE)
Condenser: 4TTR6036B1000A
Coil: 4TXCB004CC3HCB
Furnace: TUD1C080A9H41B
This also includes supply and return plenum, drain pan,float switch, gas flex, gas stop,mastic seal, Rex Rack 4 inch(filter size 20x20x4), filter drier,disconnect box,N/S dumpers, grills, T-Stat Focus, 9 supply registers.

warranty: heat exchanger-lifetime
10/10/10 on compressor/parts/labor and 1 year maintenance agreement.
This guy measured every room ,he spent 2 hours at my house working on this and answering questions.

TOTAL PRICE 5283
This guy pointed out that when my first floor needs replacement it is better to go with a 3 ton rather than a 4 ton currently installed as there is air sharing and 6 ton is adequate for my house. There is just bad air movement configurations, which I tend to agree with.

3.Different contractor
4TTR6036A1000A -Condenser
4TXCB036BC3HCA- Coil
and TUDB080A9V3VB-Furnace
TCONT802AS32DA-thermostat
1-plenum
flush linesets
1-2 inch filter box
1 eletrical disconnect box
1 year labor warranty
Total price $6200

Here are my questions

a. looking at my numbers as shown in the attached map, does it make sense to go with a 3 ton system?Contractor 1 did suggest increasing some ducts @350 a pop
b. Are these systems properly matched?
c. I really like the 10 year labor warranty offered by the first contractor. but is it really worth it to go with XR 17? I was hoping to get something like the third combination, but with the first contractor hoping that the numbers will fall inbetween $6500 and 5283, but with the benefit of two stage systems.
c. Are the thermostats in these quotes a match for humidity control?
d. I want a system that is cost efficient, performs well and is effective, looking at these prices I think they are fair not sure if they are the best. I would have liked an XR15 condenser and XV80, tough luck Trane no longer has XR15 condenser.I was hoping this will be cheaper and will do the job.

Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated

Comments (6)