SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave1812_gw

Samsung FL water level adjustment--beware...

dave1812
12 years ago

of "too much of a good thing". As some of you know, there are Youtube videos that describe how to easily adjust the water level on a Samsung FL. the adjustment is done by turning a sensor adjustment screw clockwise to increase water level, or CC to decrease it. Some of the online videos go way overboard, by suggesting that 6 full turns is "necessary" to obtain a good water level. For grins, I decided to just how sensitive the pressure switch is to adjustments. Turns out that one to two full turns makes a big difference! I have found that my particular washer is a bit sloppy with it's water level--some loads have no extra water, while others have an adequate amount. I found that a bit more than 3 turns from factor gives a whopping amount of water--several inches up the door.

Now here is the thing: in order to get good washing results, the clothes need to be "lifted" upwards during agitation. If you have the water level too high, the rotating drum will be unable to do anything but spin around the clothes sitting in a large puddle of water, with just the paddles passing under them. That is not going to give you a good wash, IMO. You want there to be "adequate" water, but not so much that the clothes can't be lifted/tumbled. I ended up setting the switch to 3/4 turn clockwise from factory. The water level almost reaches the front rim of the drum. Having the water an inch or two above the bottom of the door seal simply doesn't allow the clothes to be lifted up correctly.

Having said all that, I don't recommend that anyone start monkeying around with the water level settings, but IF you decide to do that, I think you may be disappointed in the washing efficacy, and you'll certainly be using a LOT more water if you see water several inches above the bottom of the seal. More is not always better. It seems that Samsung chose a water level that gives it a great efficiency rating and decent cleaning prowess. Obviously such low water levels (Samsung's) aren't going to give maximum rinsing ability---everything is a trade-off.

Comments (8)