SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Need trip & food pre-prep advice.

party_music50
12 years ago

Hi --

Heading on a 5 hr road trip later this week: will arrive to go to 5pm Fri graduation ceremony then have party at 2pm the following day (Sat). My contributions are the cake and coleslaw for the 2pm party. Need advice on pre-prep because it will be crowded and hectic once we get there (i.e., I need to minimize food-prep there).

I'm thinking I'll bake the cake Thurs evening, but may put off til Fri AM if that makes more sense. It will be a double-size sheet cake that I'll transfer to a covered board to decorate. I'm planning to make my own version of marble cake (one yellow and one chocolate that I blob together. :) and thinking of a french buttercream frosting with some of the usual "congratulations" and such written on the cake. Would you bake and frost it Thurs night, or hold til Fri AM, or bring the frostings/tools and frost the cake there?

Re the coleslaw, I'm thinking I'll pre-shred the cabbage Thurs night and seal in plastic bags. Pre-make the dressing to bring and assemble everything immediately before the Sat party (adding last-minute apple, carrot, etc). Would that work fine?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm