SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macybaby_gw

Well that didn't work!

macybaby
14 years ago

The location of the microwave has had me stumped. I came up with a plan to put it over the dishwasher. It seemed to work on paper but I was skeptical on how it would be IRL.

Do this weekend DH rigged up a temporary shelf and after only two days, we both hate having the microwave there.

The big problem is how far out it sticks from the wall, and even though it is not as far as the DW so you have to walk around anyway, it "feels" like you are going to run into it and it makes the isle seem smaller.

DH is dead set against a microwave under the cabinet. I have one other option, and that is to install it as part of the big "appliance garage" cabinet I was putting on the south wall of the kitchen near my big work island.

Dh and I got to talking about this option and got the idea if we make it more like a hutch with a counter then DH could put his coffee maker over there two, and the toaster oven (which never did have a home) and with the small fridge under the work center, he can have his own little snack area without ever entering the kitchen proper.

But the draw back for me is the microwave is now about as far away from the other appliances as it can get. But then I guess we don't use it for much more than heating up leftovers and defrosting things, so maybe that will be OK.

DH has plans of moving the temporary shelf over to the other wall so we can live with the microwave in that location for a bit and see if that works.

DH gets very frustrated with all this as he's a "once and done" type guy and tells me I should just plan everything out and then stop changing my mind - but if I had stuck with my original plan I'd have ended up with a kitchen no where near as functional as what it has evolved into.

Sometimes I think he wishes I had never found GW either - I get way too many ideas from this site. Heck, didn't even know about induction cooking two years ago and now I have an induction cooktop on order.

Cathy

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!