SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

last minute help on kitchen layout

Skyangel23
10 years ago

Hi,
We are building a modest home in Florida. We will have 10 ft ceilings and 42" cabinets, but laminate countertops, laminate or vinyl plank flooring, ect. We just finished blocking the exterior, so no interior walls have been built yet. The plumbing is in on the slab foundation, however, so I don�t think the sink can be moved, although other appliances/cabinets can. I regret not finding this site earlier, but it is what it is, I guess.

I have concerns about our kitchen. The size is 16.6 by 12.6 but some of that is cut off with the angled peninsula. The breakfast nook is 16 by 13. I have always had an island in previous kitchens, and this one seems too small for one. I am worried the long, angled peninsula will block in the kitchen with only one exit point to the main living areas. The counter will be single height, so I assume the large area next to the sink will be the main prep area. I am not sure about aesthetics or functionality of the long, angled peninsula. Because the breakfast nook also acts as a walkway from living room to family room, and because it is all at an angle, it appears the angled peninsula may be a necessity.

I do like that the sink faces the breakfast nook and the windows to the outside. We are on two wooded acres, so the views and natural lighting will be great. I also like that while at the peninsula, I will be able to see what�s going on in the family room and even a bit of the living room.
We are a family of four, with two kids, three and eight. My husband works with me in the kitchen. We are not gourmet cooks, and try to keep prep and cooking to under 30 minutes most nights. The kids will hang out with us at the peninsula/island and/or kitchen table on a regular basis.

The kitchen table in the breakfast nook will be the primary eating space. One thing I am concerned about is that we are planning to have large potluck, bring-your-own dish get-togethers. Food is usually snack type stuff, chips, breads, salads, ect., where guests may prep a bit but wouldn�t be baking dishes or anything. I am concerned about the opening becoming a bottle neck area. The rest of the house is great for this, with multiple hang-out areas, including the lanai and outdoor fire pit.

What I would like to know is if there are any minor efficiency improvements we could make, and if there is a way to transform the peninsula into an island, or somehow alter the peninsula�s shape so there is more room/wider opening into kitchen without drastically changing other elements. OR, if the peninsula will work best with this kitchen, then I can hopefully just relax and put my mind at rest.

I created a Flickr account to show several more pictures. I hope it works okay. There are several pictures of the model home that has the same floor plan as ours, only ours is a bit larger. We will have taller cabinets, no overhangs or soffits, and a flush countertop. And I switched the fridge and range; it is correct in the drawn images.

Thank you so much for your help, and let me know if I need to provide additional information.

Here is a link that might be useful: my flickr photostream

Comments (31)