SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larryd999

Duct condensation after new system installed

Larryd999
11 years ago

Had a new Carrier Infinity system (Heat Pump - split system - crawlspace)in a 1962 vintage tri-level 3000 sq ft brick home in Huntsville, Alabama. We are experiencing very hot/humid conditions (95+ temp and 105 heat index). House has 3 yr old double-pane windows, upgraded insulation in attic and crawlspace - walls too difficult to breach/repair, so they have whatever they put in back in '62, probably next to nothing. Replaced a 10 yr old York with the highly recommended Carrier. Never had duct dripping with York or its' predecessor, an old Bard. Carrier system is great - quiet and pumps out very cold air, variable speed seems to be efficient. All ducts (rectangular and round sheet metal) are now sweating profusely. Original fiberglas insulation is soaked. I know that is ruined and must come off. Crawlspace ducts are easy access for new insulation. Ducts that feed upper level are trickier - they are under floor between joists in overhead of a finished basement with suspended ceiling. I have removed ceiling tiles to allow better air circulation, and bought a 45 pint/day dehumidifier for this area, which is extracting a lot of water. Crawlspace has 2 powered vent fans exhausting to outside. This fall when I have time off, I plan to take off all existing insulation, apply duct seal mastic and tape on all joints, and re-insulate with new insulation. I have not yet called my HVAC installer until i use up my DIY skills.

Questions: 1) Any interim solutions to minimize dripping until i can re-insulate? 2) Is insulation the only or best solution? 3) What is best new insulation? I have read closed-cell, fiberglas, even bubblewrap - it's all about air gap and sealing leaks...

All opinions and suggestions gladly accepted.

Comments (4)